1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Handle Unsupportive Parents

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by razorstar, Oct 18, 2015.

1. razorstar

Within the last two months, I've come out as trans, hacked off my hair, come out to my parents and closest friends, and bought a chest binder.
    It's been pretty great, except for one thing.

My mom and dad, who I still live with, are-apparently-very transphobic. I'm talking refusing to use my preferred pronouns, yelling at me when I say I'm a guy, saying I'm just looking for attention, attempting to confiscate my chest binder, and even going so far as to call my therapist and tell her to 'stop humoring' me.

I've tried going back to the beginning and slowly introducing them to the idea of me being trans and emailing them the occasional website link on the topic, but nothing's working. Any tips? Has anyone else gone through the same thing and ended up not completely breaking ties with their family?:help:

2. CalebCael

Hello,

I recently came out to my parents as well and am in much of the same situation, minus much of the yelling, but we've fought about it. At the very least I can sympathize, however it's easier since I've been away at college.

I personally came out via a letter, and got all my feelings out on paper first. It could help if you let them know that they are in fact hurting you by misgendering you, like flat out saying that they're hurting you by being this way. The honest approach isn't always so bad. My parents calmed down from taunting me and treating me like garbage after I let them know that it was certainly not doing good on my mental health.

Another point is trying to educate them while at the same giving them time to allow this to sink in. Because to them this could seem sudden while to you it could have been bothering you and obvious forever. It depends though.

Also perhaps you just need to distance yourself as much as possible. Tough love, if they can't accept you as their son, then they don't deserve to be around their "daughter". Like being in college has helped me a lot. This is something I don't really recommend, as avoidance doesn't always help but sometimes it's all you can do.

Now, if ANY of these options could put you in an unsafe situation don't take them. They are merely the suggestions of some idiot over the internet who knows nothing, and is in your same boat.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do, bro.