1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it really get better?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kaya-Sente, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Kaya-Sente

Hello, I have seen the way trans people are treated, and heard the remarks people make. We are seen as less than human. Treated as less than human. Yet everone keeps saying "it gets better" as if by rote. Yet everyone I meet is suffering the same issues and wearing fake smiles. So forgetting what we are supposed to say, does it really get better after all?

2. Jellal

Personally, my answer for you is no, it does not get better.
    If you think there is ever going to be one magic change that "saves you" and makes everything in the world perfect, you are deluding yourself. There's always gonna be something bad along the way to shit on your parade, that's just part of life.

If you think you're miserable now, understand that you'd still be miserable if you tried to hide everything away. They're just two different kinds of misery. You can gain something valuable by staying true to yourself, though. For me I gained not just knowledge about myself but about who I could really count on to stick with me, I was able to eliminate doubts about the people who I know love me. The flip side of that, is I also saw some of the uglier sides of people who I thought had nothing but love for me. But I don't regret what I've seen because I feel like I've grown closer to the people that matter.

Maybe in that sense, it got better for me ... I was in a very dark place, but I've got a nice warm fire going now. It doesn't change the fact that the cave is still dark. You understand?

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It gets better by being yourself.

It gets better being genuine to others.

It gets worse if you stay in the closet and waste time.

It can get worse if you are in an unsafe area of the world.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it definitely does get better. Better doesn't mean perfect. Better doesn't mean everything you've struggled with is done and gone and there's been some magic moment where all your problems are solved. But it gets better.

You get to come out. You get to be yourself. You get to find people who accept you and respect you. Yeah, there will always be people who don't. There will always be transphobic people. There will always be people who think being trans is wrong or isn't real. But you surround yourself by the people who will love you and won't doubt you. You learn to block out the people who won't accept you, even if it still hurts sometimes. It does get better.

#4 darkcomesoon, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015