1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story of my gender dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CaptiveLemon90, Oct 19, 2015.

1. CaptiveLemon90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This might be kind of long so I appreciate whoever reads this. So I've never exactly been the most masculine kid. When I was younger I was fairly flamboyant and always felt I fit in better with the girls. That went away as I started to get older and I started acting the way society thought I should. Then in middle school I became very insecure about my masculinity as the result of some minor bullying. To compensate for this I started acting very cynical and rude, which I'm finally trying to stop doing, but it is hard considering that's how I've acted for so long. Anyways, in 9th grade I discovered that I was attracted to guys, not exclusively as I've only ever liked girls, but I assumed that was the extent of it. But then about a year ago, I started to realize that I wasn't satisfied with traditional male gender roles. I came out to my best friend, who gave me a tube of lipstick for my birthday, and shortly afterward I started secretly crossdressing using my mom's clothes. At first I though I just was crossdressing because it felt good (not sexually), but I soon realized that I liked it because it is the only thing that makes me feel like myself, and that I am always happier whenever I'm wearing women's clothes. I hadn't told anyone besides my one friend until last Thursday, when I started coming out to family and close friends. Everyone has been incredibly supportive, especially my parents, but I am not planning on coming out in public for now. I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow, to see if he can recommend someone in the area who can help me work through this. My parents are worried about how people at school would react if I came out, and don't want me going out in public until after I graduate high school. I agree that waiting is for the best but I really want to go to prom in a dress, although that's not really relevant right now. I feel like I identify as a woman, but I need some more time to figure it out, and I want to wait until after college before making any major life decisions. Anyways, that's all I wanted to say. Sorry about how rambling that was, and that I wasn't really asking a question. I just wanted to vent my feelings and any advice is appreciated. Thanks! :icon_bigg

#1 CaptiveLemon90, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. horrorgeek

Yay! Good for you for being brave enough to come out to your family. It takes a lot of courage to do something like that. Way to go!