1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to fit mens clothes on a womans body

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NightGrazer, Oct 21, 2015.

1. NightGrazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, I'm going to try make this as concise as possible and I know it's been a while since I've been on here but I would really appreciate the help. :icon_wink I've always loved guys clothes, and recently have been embracing it more and trying to get rid of that "head is on the wrong body feeling" I get when I look in the mirror. So I'm looking for some advice. T-shirts I'm used to so they're not a problem and shirts I'm slowly getting a handle on its the JEANS that are the issue. Due to me being a typical broke college student I'm mostly confined to primark/pennys, and I'm not sure how to fit the jeans! I tried the "boyfriend" jeans from the womens section in the hopes that they would be true to their (awful) name but alas, they were like looser skinny jeans and not very nice. The 30/30 size was quite frankly to small in the thighs but the next size up (32/30 or something, next size up anyway) are huge in the waist (sorta fixed that with a belt, looks bad unless my shirt or t-shirt is over it but not a visible problem really) and big at the crotch. I guess what I am really asking is does that look bad? Is it normal for there to be a big of a "fold" when I sit down? My waist is 25 1/2 inches and my hips 34. Yeah, it's a problem. I have the additional issue that I can't ask anyone for their opinion because 1. My close friend does not understand anything outside of cis/feminine, I asked her opinion on a shirt and she said it looked "manly", I was like well yeah it's a mens shirt, bottom line can't ask her opinion (She doesn't say anything unless I ask.) and 2. I have great difficulty talking to people about personal stuff like this. How do you Queer/fluid/trans/other folk find trouser shopping?

2. Awoken

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've worn mens clothing for as long as I can remember, the only issue with jeans is that they're a pain for women because they're so straight. They're not very forgiving on curves. I just wear girls jeans. It's just a size at the end of the day. Find womens jeans that you like and are suitably masculine in your own size. Loads of men wear girls jeans for the same reason. However, if you truly are unhappy with wearing girls jeans I'd suggest some online androgynous clothing shops. If you aren't comfortable in womens unisex might be the way to go. But just remember at the end of the day that clothes are clothes. Find clothes you LIKE regardless of gender. If you find a hot pair of jeans that are meant for a girl, but you don't think they're too feminine, why not? I literally repel female clothing but I still wear womens jeans, just purely for the fit. I couldn't fit in mens jeans at all

3. wanderinggirl

I have hips but a less defined waist and I wear men's jeans. It's taken a bunch of experimentation though. I find that skinny/slim fit men's are the best. There's a big fold on the crotch so I don't know how you feel about that, but if I wear darker jeans I don't feel like its that noticeable. Give it a shot, you might find something you like!

---------- Post added 21st Oct 2015 at 01:44 PM ----------

Oh also, I almost always order online and return what doesn't fit well; I'm more objective at home and I can try things on with other clothing I have to make outfits, so I can see if it looks weird.

One last suggestion: take things home, try them on with an outfit, and post photos of the outfit here (you can blur or crop out your face or whatever) and then you can ask the forum for opinions!

4. MissNicole

I've always worn like, bootcut or the 'stretchy' straight jeans. I'm a 38 waist, 41 hips. And wear my jeans low on my hips, so 38 seems to work.

[Though I figure my body is just wonky, because I have no idea what's going on with it.]

Where is the fold? I'm crap at reading right now, but if you mean the fake bulge that happens in the crotch, then yeah, that's normal. Sometimes looks like you have an erection even if you don't.

5. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh man, jeans shopping in the mens' section is a hellscape sometimes, isn't it?

I tend to just shop around. One shop's 32/30 will gape at the waist, another might not fit in the thighs, so on, so forth. Eventually the perfect pair of jeans shows up that doesn't do either of those things! Even within the same store, you'll find that similar-cut jeans will have different fits from one another. It's a case of trying on everything you like the look of in a couple of different sizes and hunting for the perfect pair.

The fit of the jeans you choose can be a big factor - I've found that straight leg jeans tend to be excessively baggy in the leg but tight at the thighs (at least for me) while 'slim' are usually more proportional. Personally I steer clear of skinny jeans purely because they emphasise just how thick my thighs are, but that's purely my own preference because of my proportions!

In short, I don't think there's one foolproof way to find men's jeans to fit an afab body - it's just an awful lot of trying things on until you get a pair that work on you!

6. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Vans jeans are a decent fit for a female form. I'm a weightlifter so my body shape isn't typically female but I do have the dreaded female hips and arse. Find a brand that fits well and head to eBay!