1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much pressure!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheRealTheaJane, Oct 24, 2015.

1. TheRealTheaJane

Heyya y'all! =^.^=

I wondered: is anyone feeling the same or did they early on?

I will freely admit, I'm a bit of a savage. When clearing out the bakery at the end of the day at work I take a bite off everything. I tend to climb things a lot, and I like backpacking trips. I'm the kind of girl who is perfectly okay with sleeping on a park bench overnight if there are no busses home from the nearest town. I enjoy wearing comfortable guys combats, I carry a penknife everywhere because I've lost count how many times it's been useful.

I have to say having been homeless for several months as I tried to escape the way I am might have rubbed off on this, but I've always always a bit wild.

Here's the thing: since coming out it's been so much pressure! people now notice if I don't wear a padded bra (I have a flat chest) or I neglect even subtle makeup. it's just so much pressure! Most people are making a great effort to use the right pronouns and name, but I feel as though they wouldn't take me seriously if I keep letting my wild side out as I used to.

I feel as though I'm starting to lose an important part of me that I love as I transition. And it's making me second guess myself.
    Did anyone else go through this too? :tears:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to be a girly girl. It's your gender identity. Be happy with you.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I can also feel pressure as such. I'm a metalhead and I like singing along to rock music and all. Sometimes when I'm in a bad-ishmood I can be foul-mouthed and unpleasant. I mean... I could list a thousand things that in some way could be considered to not be a girly thing to do. Overall I'm pretty girly, but that's not my point. I mean it doesn't matter what I like to do etc.
    Sometimes when I feel pressure on me I try to think to myself that I'm okay as I am in this respect. It's okay to be skipping along in a skirt with your pigtails flying in the air, all the while listening to death metal in your headphones. It's all about being happy with yourself, sister! <3

If it is something that's bothering you, you could bring it up, at least with the people closest to you, perhaps. My advice if you do that, is remember not to sound ike they have done something bad. Just bring up that you feel that since you came out as being a woman you feel like you're not allowed to do things you liked before because they're not considered "girly".
    Just a suggestion!

All the best

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok. Here.

Look at me. In any of my photo albums.

I drive a sports car listen to hip hop and rap and practice karate.

So am I not a girl?

5. waternation

waternation Guest

As a cis girl I say don't give into the pressure, be who you want to be!!!

I love eating too! I love climbing and backpacking! I'm always wearing guys clothes and would never wear a dress and love having a sense of adventure too! I don't wear a push-up bra, I hardly wear any make-up at all. And you know, none of these things make me any less female, so they don't make you any less either.

I'm really sorry to hear that you have been homeless :icon_sad: I hope that you are in a safer place now. Just don't second guess who you are just because everyone wants to place stupid expectations on you that try to invalidate you. ((even as a cis girl, my mum is constantly telling me to be more like a 'girl'. what does that even mean??? i am one!!))

(*hug*) Be true to yourself, don't let people stifle you. And trust me, in the end, it just won't work and it can make you miserable. It can be hard to trust yourself, to stand up for yourself sometimes, especially to people who you would think have the interest for you. But when it comes to your gender, who you are as a person, you'll always be right. Nobody else can tell you who are or should be.

6. MetalRice

Be true to yourself and who you want to be girl, you should always do that *hugs*