1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Transgender and Sibling Influences?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WhereWeWere, Oct 27, 2015.

1. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

For the past few months I've been noticing that many binary transgender people have a sibling (usually older) that is the gender they are transitioning to. (Example, an older sister and a little brother, then the brother transitions to female, making her a little sister)

I'm not saying that this is true, and of course scientists still have to look into whether transgender people were "born that way".

I have older brothers, no sisters, and I wonder, did they have a play in my desire to be a man?

It's a very interesting subject to look at. Of course, even if they did, that's not their fault. What about sexuality, though? My eldest brother is as straight as an arrow, my elder brother is bi, and I'm gayer than a double rainbow. If I wanted to be a man so badly, like them, wouldn't I also have an attraction to women?

What do you think? Do you believe that siblings have a play into being transgender? Do you think it's just a coincidence?

2. InfinityonHigh

This is true for some of the trans people I know. (Not me though, i have no siblings) it's important to remember that correlation doesn't mean causation. This could be a coincidence. Being transgender is not related to the environment someone grew up in. However, I suggest there's a possibility of this being a hormonal thing. I've heard from some sources that being transgender is caused by pre-natal hormones.

3. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say definitely not and I think I read that research was conducted to examine such a correlation. On the other hand, having an older sibling of the gender you are transitioning towards might help you figure out earlier in life that you are trans because you will have more access to examples of gender expression.

Btw, I have two brothers and I had no connection to other girls yet still prayed at a young age to wake up as a girl. It is fairly clearly innate and most likely caused by irregularities with prenatal hormones.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder about this as well but decided it probably means nothing. I always use to wonder why I was the only 'girl' born into a family of boys. Also, having two older brothers didn't help me realize sooner since I still did a girl things like playing with dolls.

There are probably a lot of trans people who have no siblings, or only siblings that were the same sex as they before transitioning.

5. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the youngest sibling but I have both two brothers and a sister so I think it's just a coincidence.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know, buy like InfinityonHigh said - correlation does not necessitate causation. Most things of a psychological nature, and neurological for that matter, are a combination of nature and nuture. While it may not all be due to pre-natal development, it surely doesn't seem to be pure environmental/psychological conditioning throughout childhood and adolescence.

But I suppose, in this circumstance, I could be arguing from the other point of view seeing as how I have six brothers (2 older and 4 younger). Just one sister but I'm a decade older than her.

#6 Kodo, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. DinelodiiGitli

There could be a correlation but as previously stated that doesn't means it's the cause.

I mean I have one younger sister, one younger step sister, and two older step sisters.

8. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a twin sister, I'd be intrigued to know what the percentage of transgender people is like with non-identical twins.
    I personally thing my gender non-conformity is caused by hormones in the womb getting messed up because we were different sexes.
    I don't think it's anything environmental, because my sisters are actually far less girly than I was even before I realised.

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know about the research or anything behind it, so honestly I'm not sure.

But just to throw out a personal note I suppose, I have no siblings (in fact everyone in my generation of the family is a girl, and identifies as far as I know as such), and yet...there is still a fairly large possibility at this point that I'm a trans dude, and I definitely don't identify as a cis girl. So who knows. My case is obviously only one specific case.

I'll agree with what above posters have said though. Even if there is correlation, it doesn't necessarily mean causation.

#9 Alder, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  10. MetalRice

I have an older brother and sister, but I doubt they have anything to do with the fact that I am a trans girl.

11. xfinitycomcast

I grew up for a few years without a sister before she was born. I don't think it's related but it might help.