1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this bother anyone else?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Natasha Elyssa

Does this bother anyone else? Like when people say really messed up things, and really mean things about trans people? Or the trans as a whole? I always hear people say really mean things about trans like my boss at my summer job "Can you believe they let anyone who says they're a girl in the girl scouts?!" and one of the medics said "Really? Well then I'm a girl!" and they were both guys and stuff, and my boss ranted about how wrong it was and about how stupid it was to him. All the guys in the room found it to be laughable, but I stayed quiet and bit my tongue. This wasn't so bad, but I still didn't like it. Or when that South Park episode making fun of Caitlyn Jenner came out, the things that people said were atrocious. I hate it when people say really dumb and mean things about LGBTQ, especially Trans because I'm trans. Does anyone else get what I mean? Does this bother anyone else? <3 ^-^

2. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Oh, it bothers me. I'm sure it bothers most. I have to deal with my brothers making fun of Caitlyn Jenner- seriously, my brother made an entire rap dedicated to how she's not really a woman because of her junk. Apparently he thought it would be funny.

If there is one thing that is true, it is that people are ignorant. Cisgender people do not know the feeling of gender dysphoria, which makes them believe being transgender doesn't exist simply because they are the majority, and actual transgender people are freaks. Very few cisgender people are experts in the gender-spectrum and open-minded about gender.

Hell, I'm sure my grandparents would disown me in the snap of a finger if they found out I am this way.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it bothers me, especially when that hate comes from and LGBT page.
    Other things that bother people is how quick trans people are to snap, cuss, and make rude insults to anyone who says something mean. I understand being made fun of his hurtful, but I don't understand how being hateful right back would help our case. If anything it would damage it more.
    As in example: A guy commented on a post about trans people. He believed that it was a choice and that science didn't back up transgender being an actual thing. He presented his opinion in a respectful manner, though he did say something about how he found it gross. The person to comment after him was an intersex transgender person. She rant and raved at him, throwing insults left and right. She called him transphoboic, homophobic, and down right rude. Really she was being unreasonable awful. And he pointed out that there was no need to cuss and be hateful. Surprising two trans people backed him on the fact that she was the one being rude in this situation. They then talked to the man about how calling trans people gross is highly hurtful and is rude itself. The guy then apologize. He then asked for more information on trans people since he actually knew very little. By this point the lady from earlier was back and still rude as ever. She then said that he should just Google about trans people "because we aren't here to teach other people about us". Meanwhile the other two were posting links to scientific articles about transgender people and were explaining that as science progresses we learn more about such things as homosexuality and transgender.

I know that was a bit off topic, and the answer is yes that it bothers me. More so when the person is being mean on purpose. But if I know it is from a person truly not know anything about transgender people then I try to educate and help them understand. I have learned that a lot of people are opening to learning.

Another thing that bothers me that I have to mention and might get hate for: treating cisgender people like they are the enemy. Its an over used saying but, hate only begets hate. We aren't going to win friends if we treat everyone with a different view than us like crap.

#3 Matto_Corvo, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  4. randomconnorcon

I agree, most people are just ignorant. Some people say things to be deliberately cruel and I want to slap them (I don't). Others don't intend on being cruel. Either way, something needs to be done if you have the opportunity (and the ability) to do something. It's natural to feel hurt by it, it really sucks to hear that that's what people think of you, but I also don't like when trans people hurl insults back. It solves nothing. Some people don't want to hear it; walk away. Some people are open to talking and ask questions; answer.

Some people have found out about me from friends or my online profiles and I get messages saying "I don't mean to sound rude and it's okay if you don't want to talk about it." I do, I always want to talk about it, I am always willing to answer questions. I respect that some people don't, but how are the hurtful comments meant to stop if some of us aren't willing to talk?

So yeah, it bothers me a lot, but I don't listen to it or moan about it (not that I'm saying you are, I promise, this is just a general thing I'm saying I don't do), I talk about it.

#4 randomconnorcon, Oct 27, 2015
  5. DinelodiiGitli

Yes, especially when someone I'm related to agrees.
    My family got up and arms about how the Girl Scouts were allowing transgirls and needless to say many arguments occurred.

It is also terrible when other LGBT folk just completely ignore or disown the 'T'. I once heard a bisexual girl say she wouldn't date trans people because they aren't 'real men and women'. Our own community shouldn't turn on us like that. It's wrong.

#5 DinelodiiGitli, Oct 27, 2015
  6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It definitely bothers me. There are big things that obviously upset me (I found a super transphobic blog this morning which said trans women weren't really women and I got really pissed) but little things too, like when people make jokes they think are just jokes but are actually offensive (my choir teacher had us introduce ourselves by name and pronouns, which was great, but when it got to him, he said he didn't care about pronouns (not in a genuine way, but in an "I'm so cis and open minded" way) and then laughed and said "you can call me it", which made me really uncomfortable). It's completely normal to be bothered by those things.

7. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course. I wish I could get myself to stop listening when it comes up in a conversation, or not click the article some relative shares on Facebook. But I do, and regret it every time.

I guess it's different from how I feel when someone makes fun of Southerners or liberals or something like that, because being transgender is a much deeper part of my identity.

8. UniqueJourney

My last gf and I talked multiple times about what it means to be transgender, and every time she said she just couldn't understand it. She would accompany that statement with a scrunched up face like she was smelling something bad.

As I started to accept my non-binary gender it became clear that if she couldn't embrace transgender individuals...she couldn't embrace me. Whether she realized it or not, every time she made that face she was making it at me.

It very much bothers me when I hear people say ignorant things. But if they're not being malicious and are willing to learn...then I do what I can to help inform and educate them.

9. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I´m trans and I don´t care.

10. MetalRice

I've learned to stop giving a fuck about what other people think.