1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips for a teen (closeted) FTM, on passing as male?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BoyDayGirlDay, Oct 27, 2015.

1. BoyDayGirlDay

Hey! so, I was wondering if yall had any tips for me a closeted 13 year old FTM? Mostly how to pass in school, as i dont go out a lot. THANKS!

Avery. w~

2. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Button down shirts are great for hiding your chest if you don't own a binder. Also cargo pants are good because they have pockets near the knees and therefore make legs look thicker, which accentuates the hips less. They're easy to find in the boys' department of most stores. Also if possible, getting a male haircut helps a lot, but if you're not out that might be a bit hard to do. Hope this helps!

3. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

If you have a friend that's old enough to drive, then that definitely helps on the clothes situation.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ideally, a guy's haircut, something to flatten your chest, and clothes from the boy's department, because girl's clothes are made to accentuate curves, and guy's clothes are made with the assumption that you don't have curves and don't want to accentuate them if you do.

Clothes that aren't tight fitting, but aren't obviously too large, will help you pass better (a lot of guys try wearing super baggy clothes to hide their curves and while it does hide curves, it also makes you look like a tiny person drowning in your giant clothes), irregular shirt patterns help hide your chest if it isn't completely flat, and you can put your hair in a hat if you can't get a short cut.

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread might be useful, and I'll quote two links I gave in a reply on this other thread:

Anyhow, binding and cutting your hair short can help. If you can, buy some guy's clothes from the boy's or men's department (though a lot of clothes in the men's department are pretty big in size). Body language is also very important; study how some guys hold themselves and how they sit/walk.

Best of luck.

6. DinelodiiGitli

Aside from what has already been stated (as everyone has given very good advice) please do not use anything like ace bandages to bind as they're dangerous. A good way to flatten you chest without a binder is a snug, stretchy tank top/camisole. You can layer one by folding it up (if that makes sense) and using safety pins to keep it folded. Really works well.

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah I second this. Safety is really important in binding. If you can't get your hands on a proper one, definitely don't use ace bandages. The tank top/camisole is a good idea, I personally use two sports bras (one over the other, one the right way round and the second one backwards over that) and a tank top over both, so that might work for you. I can't vouch professionally how safe it is, but the rule of thumb is don't bind for over 8 hours at a time, don't do heavy exercise when binding, stretch and breathe often, and if it starts to hurt, take it off and take a break. If it's hard to bind or you need a day or two break and still want to hide the chest, layering shirts/jackets can help. One other thing though- personally I don't like wearing shirts that are too big for me; although they can hide curves, they make me look tiny in comparison.
    My favourite look is when I bind and wear a smaller V neck from the men's department (the smallest size actually); it accents the upper body.

Anyhow, last note I forgot to add- confidence, is super important. I'm sure you'll be just fine though. Hope it all goes well (*hug*)

8. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Also doing exercises like push ups help broaden shoulders and add to arm strength, which might help you pass/help with dysphoria.

9. xfinitycomcast

Sorry to barge in on the post, but if anyone has any tips for a *cough* semi *cough* closeted MtF like myself that'd be great. (Given the way my school is, it's not safe for me to come out to anyone but my closest friends and even then I'm hesitant.)

As for the OP. Like Theboythat said, push-ups definitely help with making a more masculine body. Apart from that just try and cover up your femininity and DONT USE ACE BANDAGES. I have heard so many bad things about them and how they're supposedly really bad for you and can hurt you really bad long term. Don't do that to yourself dude!

Good luck though! (*hug*)

10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -Exercise: Do cardio, and try to build muscle on your shoulders, chest, and biceps. Aim for an upside down triangle-type shape

-Wear baggy pants, and keep them in whatever position hides your hips the best

-Wear two shirts and a binder, if you don't have a binder you can make one out of a camisole or by layering sports bras

-Wear guys deodorant/body spray and use guy soap. Axe usually works the best.

-Train your voice to be deeper

-Pack: You can either buy a packer (and use a harness), make one out of a condom and hairgel (I'd advice against that though because if it breaks you'll get a yeast infection), or use a sock (safety pin it)

-Take up more space. Sit with your legs apart, or if you must cross them position your ankle on your knee

-Walk lazily, swing your shoulders, don't swing your hips, keep your feet farther apart

-Shave your peach fuzz

-If you're good with makeup, you could maybe try drag king make up

-Guys shoes, if you're really short try a shoe insert

Masculinizing exercises: Man 101: The Brutally Honest FTM Guide

How to dress: Dressing to Flatter Your FTM Body Type | Point 5cc

Camisole binder: Something Incredible?

Other ways to bind/add'l info: 4 Ways to Bind Your Chest - wikiHow
    Hudson's Guide: FTM Binding
    Binding 101: Tips to Bind Your Chest Safely | Point 5cc

Buy a binder:
    GC2b FTM and transgender male Chest Binders
    Men's compression undershirts: Compression Shirts, Chest Binders, Gynecomastia Shirt - Underworks
    LOVE BOAT Chest Binder www.lesloveboat.com/shop - Love Boat Shop

Make your voice deeper:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oegzhs410f8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41ER1Wmkj0

Hairgel/condom packer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-A8ZqRkfpU

Make a harness (packing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIkyWSMRQHk

Sock packing: Trans Cuties (How to make a simple soft packer out of socks)

Choose a packer [NSFW]: Helping You Pick the Perfect Packer

Masculinizing makeup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzzQduDhZg
    How to Apply Makeup to Look More Masculine: 8 Steps

Also:
    The FTM's Complete Illustrated Guide to Looking Like a (Hot) Dude
    Man101.tumblr.com and Hudson's FTM guide

11. Forget Me

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're trying to pass in school you might need to tell a teacher, so you aren't called by what may be a feminine name. If you have a larger chest, then try to get a binder... If you have nothing around, but tape and ace-bandages then I can not stress enough about not using tape! I know ace-bandages are bad as well, but if you have to choose between tape and ace-bandages, then the ace-bandages are a better option. Just make sure they say they're breathable... But, really a binder is best... A tip that I would really consider is if you're a little "overweight", then as you try to lose the weight also start binding your chest slightly flatter as you get to your desired weight. This way people will just think that the "fat" in your -tissue is what made your chest so big, and that after working out it got smaller... That would take a lot of planning and math, probably, but if your family doesn't know then it might be a good option... Another thing is that if you haven't started school yet, and let a teacher know, then you could just have a binder, wig, and set of clothes for school, or get a gender neutral haircut. This way your family won't suspect too much (but they will suspect- parents are nosy), and you get to be yourself at school... I don't know if this really helps, but the things I didn't cover others have already... Wish you luck. -Also, no matter what choices you make regarding binding or otherwise, always do your research. Too much of a good this is always a bad thing... And even the smallest amounts of things can have long term affects... Be careful in your choices. Things like this can change your life forever.

#11 Forget Me, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  12. FrxnLives

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sports bras. One forward, one backward, the next forward. Usually, inwear an anime shirt and button down shirt on top and itnworks perfectly!

13. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Here are some things that I've heard might help:

-Grow out your hair, if you want.

-Shave/wax your legs and underarms. Even if people can't see it, you may feel more feminine. Loads of guys do it anyway, so don't worry if people notice and you aren't out.

-Wear a push up bra with the little plastic things that you can put inside to make it look like you have larger breasts. This might not be a good idea if you aren't out.

-Do your eyebrows. Many females pluck to make their eyebrows less bushy, might help you feel more feminine.

-Wear scoop necks or V necks, my AMAB gender friend stated that they "Work wonders for us feminine faeries."

- When you sit cross your legs, or try to keep your legs close together rather than spread out.

-Wear make up and lipstick, or wear lip balm for the same feeling if you're uncomfortable wearing it in public.

-Wear nail polish, or clear nail polish for the same feeling.

-Moisturise. Because why not?

-Use conditioner. Makes your hair smoother. It's great.

-Use female deodorant or perfume.

-Wear headbands or bows. Also "works wonders for us feminine faeries."

-Wear female clothes, because why not?

-Tuck, but do not use tape as it could damage the skin.

-Remember that you are every bit as feminine as you want to be <3

And now for a few FTM things that I thought might help.

-Get a guy's cut, or if you can't put your hair in a bun and took it into a beanie or other type of hat.

-Tense your jaw, but not so much as to give you a headache. Haha, it makes your jaw look more square.

-Cut your nails short, this helps me.

-Wear a binder, but remember not to wear it for more than 8 hours, do not wear it to sleep or exercise, cough occasionally throughout the day to prevent fluid build up and take it off if it hurts. If you can't get a binder, use sports bras or cut the legs off an old pair of leggings, and then cut a hole in the crotch for the head. It works for me, but not for everyone.

14. anthracite

anthracite Guest

To the FTM bro: Basecaps work very well for me. Also you could put mascara on your eyebrows so they look thicker, given that you habe dark hair/eyebrows anyway.

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2016 at 03:44 PM ----------

Oh and male perfume. Makes me feel sexy and maculine. And this feeling affects your passing a lot.