1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it illegal?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Secrets5, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

It came to my attention a couple of days ago that you cannot yet change [UK] your passport from male/female to agender ... does this make it illegal? I'm so scared to tell people I'm agender in case of this, I always follow the law, even the little ones at school, and going to jail for something I cannot choose ... what is this, the '50s? [I'm not joking, I feel that society UK hasn't progressed at all in terms of acceptance, it's just that what the public dis/respect has changed].

Thank-you.

2. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It does not mean it is illegal, just unrecognized as a gender.
    Few countries allow a third gender option officially.

3. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it's not illegal at all to be agender! It's just not recognised as something you can put on legal documentation, as PerfectlyNormal said. No legal consequence for being out, just potential social ones.

...Although hopefully they'll think about giving us some kind of Other option for documentation some day. Preferably some day soon.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not illegal to be agender at all. We aren't in the dark ages anymore, at least in most parts of the world.

In terms of legal documents, there are countries that recognize third genders; such as Australia that allow for the option to have X on your passports for example. This is still kind of a new thing, so it might be a while until the rest of the world catches up. I'm not sure when this will happen though, but hopefully within the next ten or so years things will be looking up for the non-binary/agender community.

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ... or we just need to wait for a celebrity to come out as agender and fight for it. That usually works. I was hoping that if they made a second series of 'boy meets girl' (it's really good) that they adopted a child who was agender. Television programmes could work too.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The world is still pretty close-minded. I mean Caitlyn Jenner coming out and Aydian Dowling being in the finalist for the cover of Men's Health hasn't enacted any new laws for trans people. Sure, it may have opened some minds, but it hasn't really done anything majors in terms of advancements. Hell, there's still no confirmation of Leelah's Law is going to happen, despite our vice president saying he's in support of it--and Leelah died about a year ago now. I'm not being mean, but why wait for someone to come out--which could take years or decades, when we could fight for it now and hope the government gives a damn.

Even if someone comes out as agender, it doesn't exactly mean that change will come from it. Opening minds and eyes are great, but it can only do so much. Thousands can come out, but nothing will come of change unless the world follows suit; since we're still in a world where trans people are sterilized and in one or two places, gay people are pretty much forced to transition to avoid being killed.

#6 Daydreamer1, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015