1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I may have accidentally come out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThatOneAlien, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ThatOneAlien

So I changed my name on Google to my new name just because I got tired of my old name staring me in the face everywhere, and wanted to see it somewhere sort of official, you know? Well being brilliant and all I forgot it shows your name in emails, and I just sent an email to my mom. She replied "I thought your name was Thomas?" A reference to a time when I was a kid, I tried very hard to get everyone to call me Thomas for a while (after Thomas the tank engine). Everyone just laughed at me so eventually I gave up. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is a good sign, in that she's not freaking out, or a bad one in that she might not take it seriously like the aforementioned Thomas episode. I'm going home this weekend so I'll have to see them and I'm not sure what to do. My parents are fairly conservative Christian but they never really talk about things like this so I honestly have no idea how they'll react :/

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pass it off as a joke. Make jokes about Thomas the Tank Engine. They'll just think you have a weird sense of humor and probably won't think anything about it.

3. Forget Me

Out Status:
    A few people
    You know, if it's brought up then it's brought up... If they question it you can always say your friend changed the name on it, and you didn't realize it until after you sent the email... It's not lying if you think of the different aspects of yourself as different people... Idk, that probably sounds crazy... Sorry, I'm a very logical yet creative thinker, and sometimes when I listen to music I associate it with a very specific aspect of myself... Anyway, back to you. If you don't feel comfortable telling "fibs" to them, and if they're aren't making a big deal out of it, then nothing really needs to be said about it... If your mom doesn't already know, then someday she'll figure it out. This is just going to be another one of those things that will make her realize it... I would suggest that you ask her, and maybe a couple other people (casually at dinner, perhaps) what they think of transgender people... If they don't really know what to think you can just say you saw a documentary on Jazz ?Jennings? or the movie about a true story on Brandon Tina and thought it was interesting... I hope for good responses. Btw, so your parents don't know which side you're on for trans issues, if you tell them about a transgender of example, then use they/them pronouns... They might think something is up if you're pro-trans and it's not talked about much. I wish you luck.

4. ThatOneAlien

Yeah I know it had to come out sometime, and I was planning on telling them eventually, I just kind of wanted some more time so I could understand it better myself first. Idk this might be better though, otherwise I'm not sure I'd have the courage to actually do it. My mom said to call her if I want to talk sometime, so that actually sounds pretty good. Thank you for the advice and luck =P

5. Ally Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd go with that, she said to call if you want to talk sometime, to me sounds like she thinks somethings up and is giving you the chance to say something