1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT questions and concerns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MidnightStar, Oct 30, 2015.

1. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    So iv'e been thinking after my new understandings and findings
    iv'e sort of thought about taking testosterone my reasons are
    I may actually want facial hair i was shocked to find that out myself, i'm not yet ready to say for sure but i'm ready enough to say it would alright and wouldn't be the end.
    The dysphoria over my voice is not horrible yet strong enough that i dislike it and wish for a deeper sounding voice. Of course there is also the dislike of my chest which my new binder has helped me with that even though i'm sensitive so i don't use it unless i'm in a environment where people will be walking around or looking at me. I'm hoping my curiosity isn't creating this idea in my head because what i'm thinking i better be damn sure about so it makes me scared sometimes. I still don't know if i'm trans but my pronouns are "He/him" and i have gone to the point of disliking the words daughter whenever spoken to me. I can't not say i don't feel female inside me so it confuses me and makes me question is it female or just femininity along with the stronger side (Masculinity)
    and it could very well be either. Queer or trans, it's on my mind and i been wanting to ask more then "Does this sound like a good idea even though that is apart of my question." I'm also wondering if i was to decide how this stuff will eventually effect my skin will the greasy feeling be a lot? How much will everything change? i need someone who i can ask questions to.

2. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In some ways, HRT changes a LOT and in other ways, it's hardly even noticeable.

You'll always be the same person. HRT doesn't change the things you like, the things you dislike, your sense of humor, your passions in life. But it will change your body very dramatically. It's a second puberty. As much as your body changed the first time around, it will change again with HRT. Some of it sucks - who wants to be a greasy, sweaty teenager again with a cracking voice? - but the positives easily overwhelm that and the negatives all even themselves out soon enough anyway.

The one thing that I think a lot of folks neglect to talk about when naming the changes of HRT is how much it can change how you feel to just exist in your own body. To finally have the right hormones floating in your bloodstream, to no longer feel like everything from your neck down took a wrong turn and keeps getting further away from the goal...it's a wonderful feeling that's so much more than what you see changing in the mirror.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone experiences changes differently.

I've seen guys have very little acne, and some have severe amounts of it. I've seen guys reach "beard status" within six months, and some are years on and still can't grow any.

I highly recommend you see a gender therapist to talk to about these issues, to be absolutely sure this is something you want. Some changes can happen within the first week, some are permanent, so starting HRT some of the time is seriously a "past the point of no return" thing once you've started.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What everyone above said
    As well if greasy skin really bothers you (like it does me) you can wash your face two or three times a day, it will help with greasiness as well acne.

A gender therapist, or even a LGBT friendly therapist, will go a long way in helping you work out your feelings.