1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Bad haircut

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DaemonC, Nov 2, 2015.

1. DaemonC

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I was finally able to go get my haircut yesterday. I brought in a picture of a style I loved and asked for it to be as masculine as possible. But it ended up being as feminine as humanly possible. It was okayish yesterday, but when I got up this morning and looked in the mirror I couldn't stand it. It looks terrible. So, basically, any advice on how to make my hair (in the first picture) look like the second picture?

Attached Files:

2. TraceElement

Either the guy has a mountain of styling product in his hair, or your hair is a different texture than his. Try and get some root booster for your hair to see if it helps.
    In regards to getting the actual haircut, I had to be very firm and say that I want it like a boys haircut.

3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's a nice haircut, but I could definitely see why you'd be upset. I feel like it's a little too long - an extra inch or two off the bottom might help keep it from curling. You may need to adjust the layering a little bit, too. The front of your hair needs to be cut right below eye level. At the moment, it's cut Around your mouth/chin, which makes it look a bit more feminine.

#3 Steve FS, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  4. middleageguy

It may be considered a more unisex cut by stylists. You might want to go to a regular barber shop with the pic and ask. They are also cheaper than salons when you are experimenting with new looks. Or you could buzz it!

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your stylists dont know how to layer... that's the problem.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^this^
    I was thinking this. She didn't layer your hair the same way that it is done in the pic.

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Perhaps you cut cut it quite short and then allow it to grow into the style you want it, using gel whilst it's still growing to catch the strays.

Oh, and if you have some spare time, could you tell me why the hair cut looks feminine? [trying to understand gender for other people, even if I can't understand it for myself].

#7 Secrets5, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  8. noname8387

Hi! I think it looks good, but you can make it a little more how you want it by making it shorter everywhere and cutting the bangs even shorter / making the part more to the side so the hair goes over your face instead of around it.

And remember if you end up not loving it, hair grows back, last month I got the worst haircut of my life but I almost didn't care because there are more important things in life :grin:

Good luck :slight_smile:

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't know if I'd call that hair style on the right 'masculine'. That may have thrown your barber off.

But others have pretty much covered it. The issue appears to be between your hair stylist and perhaps the texture of your hair.

10. DaemonC

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you for all of the advice. Hopefully I can go get it fixed tonight.

Secrets5- I think it looks feminine because its poofy (sorry, I'm not a hair person, that's the best way I can describe it.) It could just be me, but I think it does.

Kaiser- The haircut I was going for (the one on the right) is way more masculine than any other cut I've ever had and I personally like longer hair on guys.

I'll see how it goes when I get it fixed and then update.

11. Raziel

Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly I have a similar haircut, with the exceptions of that it's a middle part, and longer.

12. DaemonC

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I was able to go get it fixed (and dyed) today, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not necessarily masculine, but at least its a lot less poofy and feminine (as long as I straighten it). So, what do you think?

Attached Files:

13. ledja

ledja Guest

it looks a lot more 'masculine' now. i agree with what the others have said about not knowing how to layer...... like, yeahh.

if you're looking to tweak it further and are not too bad with scissors there are also heaps of useful videos on youtube.

but i think as is, it really suits you :thumbsup: colour is awesome.