1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I stop feeling like this? :(

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by noname8387, Nov 3, 2015.

1. noname8387

The truth is I identify as male pretty much because it is easier.

I describe my personality as purple (very neutral between the genders) and I just feel like a person, I just chose to label myself as male because that's how my body looks an I'm ok with it.

I feel like I have no identity because I could have been either. If I had been born a girl I'd still be Ok because I like many girl things and could rock it too. And I also feel like I have no identity because a lot of what I do is ruled by society. I feel like I'm filtering myself through what is acceptable to be a man. I like men and women clothes, but I only wear men's because it is what society thinks I should do.

To say I'm a man is honestly both an understatement and an overstatement. So I "meet" the qualifications to be a man but I think I don't feel like completely man because I meet also the qualification for many other genders and Identities. I've tried to look into them but I don't really understand how they work/how they would make me happier.

I decided to label myself male like 3 days ago and mostly It's been great but sometimes I feel like I'm faking even if I'm being myself and then I got this existential doubt.

How can I conform with my gender or conform with being non-conforming?

Thank you so much!!!

PS. I feel like I have to say this: Every time I write a thread I feel male but with this one I feel particularly woman. extra question: how can I know if I'm in denial? I feel like I already went through all the stages and came to the conclusion that I'm male on my own terms, and I don't think I am in denial but I can't help but wonder.

#1 noname8387, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. Psycho Jess

Psycho Jess Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heya! It's a bummer to hear you're uncomfortable in your skin. Let's see, I think I would suggest looking into things like gender-neutral and gender fluid. They follow more along that path of "hey, I could be either."

Personally, I'm very male, though to my great distress, I was born with breasts. And on that front I would like to tell you that there is nothing wrong with not fitting properly into your gender. If I may, I would also like to say, you sound a great deal like one of my best friends. He chooses to identify as male, mainly for the simplicity of the matter, but in reality he's very gender neutral.

The biggest thing to bear in mind, is if you are forcing yourself to fit into someone else's idea of what a gender should be like, you're always going to lose bits of yourself. To assist with non conformity, I would suggest just do what makes you happy. If you are gonna be a guy, that doesn't mean you can't wear girl clothes. Do whatever makes you happy. If anyone has a problem with it, they clearly didn't have your best interest in mind to begin with.