1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Names (and passing)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jenben, Nov 3, 2015.

1. jenben

I'm still questioning, but I do feel like I'm more on the male side of the spectrum and while I wouldn't say I hate my birth name, I also don't think I want to keep using a female name forever. I've been trying to think of potential male or just neutral names, but so far nothing has really stuck out to me as being 'the one'

My birth name is Jenny (short for Jennifer). So I started trying to think of related names to begin with, but I couldn't really come up with much other than Jensen, since it starts the same, but I don't think it suits me.

My favourite idea so far is Jay, which I've been experimenting with a bit online, but I'm not 100% attached to it.

I'm really hoping for some inspiration, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest any ideas?

I'll link a couple of pictures of me, if that helps:

(The first is right after I got my hair cut short and the second is more recent. I don't really have many pics, because I'm not used to taking them of myself)
    http://i.imgur.com/9qACAco.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/pYPsMQ3.jpg

Also, on a sort of additional note. I was wondering if anyone might have any tips on passing or hairstyles and stuff, for me?

Thank you :slight_smile:

2. ledja

ledja Guest

haha, dan and phil.

honestly, you pass really well. i would have thought you were just a cis guy.

i've always really liked the name Jay and considered a variant of it (Jaye) for myself. what about Jake, Jacob, Josh? ... Joel is another of my favourites.

#2 ledja, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    J names: Male given names with J

Passing tips: You pretty masculine, and just from those pictures I'd assume you're male but your body language is pretty important.

1. Don't swing your hips, but your shoulders
    2. Shoulders back
    3. Sit/stand with your legs apart

and for haircuts, your works but in general the shorter it is the more masculine (don't buzz it though, that's what butch lesbians do) and widow's peaks are pretty common. I'd try using gel to see what works for you.

FTM haircuts: FTM Hairstyle Guide: Tips and Inspiration | Point 5cc

Passing: FTM Passing Tips

4. jenben

Thank you (*hug*)

I kind of like Jacob or Jake and thinking about 'Ja-' names, Jamie and Jaden came to my mind. I think I quite like the idea of Jaden, with Jay as a nickname.

Thanks for the tips and links :slight_smile: I've been trying to work on my posture/walking, although I hadn't thought about my shoulders before.