1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice with clothing? (MtF trans)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Megan335, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Megan335

I am 17 and MtF trans and am stressed out some because I do not have any clothing to express myself with and it frustrates me wearing boys clothing all the time.

I have improvised a skirt using a old shirt I do not really wear anymore and I try my best to do breasts as well. Doing all that makes me feel normal and happy basically all the time. When I put mens clothing back on though to hide that I like to dress like a girl, because I identify as a girl. My parents know I am trans(or feel I am still questioning my gender, which I am not, I am very sure I am trans), but I don't know how they would feel with me dressing as a girl around the house. I want to try passing as a girl at home first and then go out in public being a girl. Then some day I hope to start HRT.

I have the money to buy some cheap clothing, I wear mostly gender neutral clothing but have found I like skirts a lot actually, they feel sooo nice. I have the money to buy a cheap skirt in a store or something and I do not care too too much about what shirt I wear. I am not too sure what to do with, well, my genitals. They bother me a ton and I would love to hide them somehow.

Anyway advice regarding my parents would be nice. Also any clothing recommendations would be amazing too. Anything that helps me look more like a girl would be amazing.

2. Minori

My first male clothing I bought was in a regular store at a mall. I got many weird looks...especially when I went to try them on. But I cared less once I got them. I was so happy. I unfortunately only know online clothing for trans males, but have you tried ebay or Amazon?
    And for trans females, makeup helps soo much. It helps you look so much different and pretty amazing. Try youtube for makeup tutorials~

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can try to find some clothes at thrift stores. I've seen a lot of people on here say they found some pretty good finds, and I don't think (but I'm not sure) they separate their clothes into Men's and Women's, so I think it's pretty easy to grab something you like without getting weird looks, or you can try online shopping.
    For genitals, have you tried tucking?

4. Megan335

I have looked on amazon and found this kind of cute blue skirt and a black skirt I really liked. I am worried though that the package will come in when I am not home and my parents will see it and be like "what is this" and open it up. Then they will confront me about it and make things 100% awkward and make me feel horrible for getting it, even if they do it unintentionally.

My plan was to go to a store and do what you sort of did and then buy the clothing and be able to hide it. I only have a 3 hour school day and I am home alone like 4 hours. So I was gonna buy it then and bring it home so that no one will know. Me and my therapist have been talking about expressing myself as a girl more as well. So hopefully I will be able to tell my parents soon.

---------- Post added 4th Nov 2015 at 03:43 PM ----------

A thrift store might actually be a good idea. I have not tried tucking, but have wore many layers of clothing(helps a little, but not a ton).

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well first I'm twice your age and I'm still not anywhere with my parents so I can't help you. I'm out to them but might as well not be.

As far as clothing and makeup.

1.) People will not care if you buy girls clothes. Stores are in the business of selling goods. Also we are more common than you think. Also... do you think a cashier is going to remember you out of like 100 customers a day? No.

2.) If you can't afford things, thrift shops are a good place to start before you buy new clothes.

3.) Dollar store makeup is acceptable to start learning techniques of layering and contouring. Do not spend money on fancy makeup until you know how to use it. When you do, it will be very effective.

4.) Breast forms can be easily replace by knee high socks pr something rolled into a ball of uniform size and worn in a bra to start with. That's what I started with.

Feel free to talk to me on my wall if you have more questions.

#5 Kasey, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  6. Megan335

Thanks for the advice, all very helpful :slight_smile:. I will visit a store tomorrow and see what I can find. With makeup, I had no idea dollar stores had it. I will watch some tutorials with makeup and stuff since I have never applied it before. As for keeping it secret, does makeup wash of easily to the point where no one can really tell you had it on in the first place?

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Face wash does the trick and soap. Some high end makeup is waterproof. Eyeliner though is one of the harder things to get off.

8. Megan335

ah ok, thanks.