1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts On Genital Dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WhereWeWere, Nov 4, 2015.

1. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Basically, this is it: since I'm AFAB, I have a vagina (of course). I would like to have a penis, but, here's the thing: sex reassignment surgery. If I could get a normal-looking, functional penis through surgery, I would. I haven't looked deep into the process of the types of surgery when it comes to this, but it's obvious that it's never going to look 100% "normal". So, when it comes down to everything, it's simple in my mind- though it'd be great to have the set of genitals I want, to me, I'd much rather have a normal, functioning vagina than a strange-looking, non-functional penis. This is the reason why I don't experience much bottom dysphoria as well. In my mind, I have the second-best thing I can get.

Does anybody have similar thoughts and/or views as me? It's an interesting subject to talk about.

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk, from the pictures I've seen they look pretty damn normal to me.

My line of thinking is that if I have bottom surgery I then become dependent on T shots for the rest of my life. There for if something like a zombie Apocalypse or other such thing (unlikely I know) happens I am then dead at some point from lack of hormones

3. DinelodiiGitli

TMI WARNING

A lot of pics you've probably seen is from stage one of phalloplasty. It often takes more than one surgery (okay, so a little graphic here: one to construct the general.....er, yeah and then later on testicular implants are made and the 'head' is constructed'. After all that it looks pretty darn normal to me).

I have a similar worry. I'd hate for society to collapse or something while I'm dependent on it, that'd be a rough way to go. I'd also be worried that the surgery would go wrong and I'd end up having to use a catheter forever.
    Then of course I already have health complications as is.

#3 DinelodiiGitli, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  4. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Wait, I have a question. This may sound dumb, but if you get bottom surgery, you then become dependent on testosterone? Can somebody explain this to me?

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your ovaries are what produce estrogen as well as testosterone. When you remove them you remove your body's ability to create and regulate hormones. So once you have bottom surgery and all the female bits are removed then you will be dependent on T shots.
    Your body is dependent on hormones for everything pretty much

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. Remove the ovaries or testes, and you need estrogen or testosterone for life. This same idea holds true for other parts of the endocrine system, such as insulin if the pancreas is gone or malfunctioning, T3 and T4 for the thyroid...

7. MtnCase

WhereWeWere,

I, too, would love to have a penis but have not had genital dysphoria strong enough to feel as though bottom surgery would make me feel more comfortable than my normal-looking, normal-sensations, vagina. It is a complicated feeling for me most of the time but I think I'll always be too scared to decide on surgery and have to be reliant on T for the rest of my life.
    I share the "second best" mentality...

8. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

So if you just stopped taking hormones, would it be a painful death or...?

9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That I do not know but I imagine it can't be to pleasant.
    So I'd you watch a video of a trans man who has had bottom surgery and he is freaking out about not being able to get hold if his T for whatever reason that would be on of the reasons.

Of course I'm not trying to discourage anyone from bottom surgery. Chances of something happen to make T hard to get are slim. And is you have major dysphoria you probably need bottom surgery. I just like for people to be well informed.

10. Melissa7

I have the same thoughts although I'm on the other side of the fence. I'd rely on estrogen for the rest of my life. At the moment I'm already dependent on pharma drugs for other health reasons so I guess its less of an issue.
    Fortunately in my case, if its adds any humor, I don't have a large problem because thankfully the 'problem' isn't large. lol!

So I may just be able to stick with what I have unless I decide to transition. Ive decided it's an all or nothing type deal if I go that route.

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally, you'd experience symptoms similar to menopause. The human body needs some estrogen. The body will convert available testosterone as neccissary. The hormones won't instantly leave the body, they'll taper off, so, though things may become uncomfortable if a dose is significantly delayed, things shoul be fine in the short term. If long term, expect osteoperosis, and other risks.

12. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should take some more time researching bottom surgery before you decide that the best it can give you is a "strange-looking, non-functional penis." First of all, there are lots of different techniques and two completely different surgeries that people choose between for male bottom surgery. There are so many different options that it's hard to make any conclusions on what combination may or may not be good for you without a LOT of research and question asking.

As things stand now, you're right that you'll never have something identical to what you would have had if you were born XY (ie, you can't get surgery that will give you sperm ejaculations or non-prosthetic testicles). But you can definitely get something that looks good and is functional in most all other ways.

For what it's worth, I consider my post-surgical penis to be functional because my urine comes from its tip and can be used device-free at a urinal, it feels pleasure from penetration/hands/mouth and orgasms, and it experiences natural erections. Since I'm gay and wouldn't be capable of impregnating a partner anyway, I consider this to be all the necessary functions of a penis. As for how it looks, I've never had a lover turn me down for it or been harassed about it in a locker room. While I think its size can "give me away" as trans to people in the know, more than one cis guy has just thought I lost the size lottery. This is enough for me to be convinced it isn't TOO strange-looking!

13. thepandaboss

I know bottom surgery can provide decent results and a lot of guys are happy with them. I'm just not sure if it's right for me as it stands now. The good thing is that advancements are always being made and the surgeries are getting better and better. And hell, I think a metioplatsy right now gives fantastic results. If I were to get one procedure, that would be it. It's the finances that concern me.

I wear a prosthetic myself and if you want a cheap (albeit temporary) way to experience what it's like to have a semi-realistic penis, I do recommend it. I can pee with it, have sex with it, etc. The bummer is that the feeling just isn't the same. But it's helped me a lot.

My absolutely for-sure surgery procedure that I'll be getting with no doubt in my mind is a hysterectomy. I have ovarian cysts that like to flare up every once in a while. Having one day without abdominal pain and where I'm not practically eating ibuprofen for breakfast would be a dream.

14. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Panda, it is definitely a very personal thing. I know for me, bottom surgery could give me a natural looking vulva, with the most common issue being lack of depth, but at least how I see it right now, I probably won't get that done. The risks don't outweigh the benefits for me. I'm more likely to just have the less invasive bilateral orchidectomy. Really, only you can determine what/how much srs you need.

15. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you get a full hysterectomy, that's when you become dependent on testosterone (usually, some women who have had hysterectomies don't go on estrogen), if you don't get your ovaries removed during a hysto then you'll become dependent on it after bottom surgery.

Also to answer your question, if it looked awful nobody would get it. Most pictures you see are of stage one and not complete.

debunking phalloplasty myths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffxeuuVQE4

debunking metoidioplasty myths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nb9evuKRfY

#15 baconpox, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015