1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Contact1111, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am just curious about this, but I couldn't imagine doing it. I do that at home though. Mainly, I am asking because I have known several people who have done this. My question is if a man were to wear nail polish and nothing else "feminine" and went out into public in a fairly average area in terms of the types of people, would he be putting himself at serious risk of being physically attacked and/or killed for this? Would this be a likely thing to happen? I have often wondered about if this was something that would be likely to be a completely dangerous thing or simply something that might get a few weird looks here and there? Would it tend to result in the person likely be completely shunned by others? Would they be seen as doing something that is somehow deeply wrong or would it just be seen as a bit unusual? Also, is it likely that strangers would harass the person and mock them to their face? If anyone has ever done this, I would be very curious to see what happened.

#1 Contact1111, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  2. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry if this question sounds off base at all. I'm just not very familiar with these sorts of things and how people are with stuff. I also just have a very deep seated fear of being the victim of some kind of some kind of really fucked up, random thing. I've had some messed up stuff happen to me in the past, but it had nothing to do with this or sexuality in general. It was just some random, incredibly messed up stuff that still has me kind of paranoid about stuff. After what happened, I just get nervous anytime I feel like I don't totally blend in with the crowd. I just find it hard to tell what's me being paranoid and what's really something to be worried about, which is why I asked this question.

#2 Contact1111, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If a man were to wear nail polish...

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. People do, however, view that as a "feminine" thing to do, so I would expect perhaps a few weird looks. But as for being assaulted? I should certainly hope not.

Its a common perception, though, that only two types of guys wear nail polish: gay guys or goth guys (in which case its usually black). Most go-with-the-flow straight dudes wouldn't, for fear of being called out. Though I wouldn't put it past more audacious personalities...

Wearing nail polish is, in the end, a matter of personal style. And no one should ever be brutalized for something as simple and harmless as that. It's akin to beating someone up for wearing mismatched socks, ridiculous.

However, there are some in society who do frown on unconventional style expressions. The same sorts of people who think that a male having long hair is bad, a male having pierced ears is bad, etc. This is where region is important. Your description reads that you're out of NY. I'm not too familiar with New York culture in that area, but keep these things in mind... Are people from you city usually more laid back or liberal types? How do they treat the LGBT?

In essence, there is nothing inherently wrong with a guy wearing nail polish. The only thing that does for other people, is hint that you might be gay (because most people, unfortunately, live by such stereotypes). If you were to walk out of the house right now in flaming pink nail polish, there's an excellent chance that nothing would happen and you'd be totally okay - only with perhaps a few sideways glances.

Other factors include how you hold yourself. If you're confident (or appear to be) and proud of yourself in public, showing that you can hold your own, less people will want to mess with you.

Hope some of this helped.