1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spot, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I'm almost ready to come out. I'm terrified but I don't feel like it's impossible anymore. My major problem here is that my mom's asked me if I think I'm transgender before and I said no. Multiple times. My mom said that she'd love us no matter what but she said that transgender would be hard because it's like your child died and you got a new one?? Would it be bad to sort of "soften the blow" because I'm thinking of saying something like "I don't feel comfortable with [some female body part]" or "I think I want [a male body part]" and then just working from there. Like could I just work up to it I guess? I probably won't tell my dad, at least straight away because he's not that accepting. I'm worried that she's going to cry or something and then I'll feel terrible. I'm her only "daughter" and I feel guilty for taking that away, even if I can't help it. What should I do? I'm not saying that I'm going to come out right now but I'm certainly considering it :help:

2. MtnCase

I just came out to my dad yesterday and I was definitely terrified even though I was pretty sure he'd still love me and accept me. I started it off by telling him that I wanted to go by a new name and gauged how that hit him and followed it up by telling him about my gender identity feelings. It went pretty well overall. I'm saying this as an example that I, too, tried to "soften the blow" by starting slow. I think you could do that as long as ultimately you convey the whole truth.

As per this, I know it is (much x1000) easier said than done but, you aren't really taking away the child your mom loves. Not coming out when you're ready is taking away a big piece of you, and you deserve to be happy with yourself just as much or more than your mom. Take the time you need before coming out, but when you do, know that it is the right thing.

3. LolliPopps

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How did it go Spot? :slight_smile:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Did you come out to your mom, and if so, how did it go?

The important thing is that your mom said that she loves you, no matter what. There will be an adjustment period, because every parent has a dream for their child, and if things change, it takes time to adjust the dream or to embrace the changes.

You are the best person to be there for your mom. You are the best person to provide her with comfort if you feel you need to, as you can provide her reassurances that things will be fine. It is okay to give her with a bit of space as well at first. Let her come to you and ask the question.

Once you have a conversation with her, help her to understand you better by being open with her, and speaking with her about your journey as much as you can. :slight_smile:

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck Spot! Hope things go well!