1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worries about haircut

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jenben, Nov 10, 2015.

1. jenben

I'm going to get my hair cut again in a week.

Since I'm not out at all, when I got it cut short initially, I went with a pixie cut and just tried to find the least feminine/most androgynous short women's cuts to show the stylist. And it seemed to work out all right.

But for my appointment next week, I've decided I would take pictures of a guy's hairstyle to ask for. It's not massively dissimilar from my current hairstyle, but would be shorter around the sides and back than I had before and I hope they'll shape the 'side-burn bits' in a more masculine way for me. I'm also intending to bind when I go and I gave my name as Jay to them when I booked the appointment (which is currently top of my list of potential male names. I thought this might also be a good opportunity to try it out in a real life setting).

Now the cut that I want to get, isn't super super masculine or anything, but I'm still kind of worried though what my family will think after I get it cut. Like I said I'm not out at all and they don't know about me questioning my gender

Do you think it's a bad idea to get a more 'male' cut when my family don't know about my gender issues yet? Is it likely to make them suspicious or anything?

2. randomconnorcon

Like you, I started with the most androgynous 'female' hair cut I could find. Everyone but my mum liked it. Then, a couple of months ago, I took in a 'male' haircut picture. Everyone but my mum liked it. Like, she stood me next to my brother and pointed out right away that my hair was shorter than his and she didn't like it.

Sometimes, because of my appearance, my mum has asked me questions like "do you want to be a boy?" And I've just kind of shrugged it off because I can't seem to find the words to admit who I am out loud to her. But I won't apologize for showing it in every way I can. I knew my mum wouldn't like my hair short, I did it anyway.

No, I don't think it's a bad idea to get your hair cut short and more 'male looking' even if your family don't know. If you want it, go for it. It doesn't mean you have to come out. And not everyone gets suspicious about it.

#2 randomconnorcon, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  3. maxkool

maxkool Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you'll have to worry if it's just another short cut. Did they question you at all about your current hairstyle? If not then I don't think they'll make a big deal about this next one unless it's drastically masculine. But parents will be curious regardless I think, so if they did ask then you could just say you enjoy trying out new looks or you feel more comfortable like this (or any kind of excuse) you don't have to come out of course.

Btw that is a really nice opportunity to try stuff out, I think I'll do the same thing :eusa_clap

Good luck :slight_smile:

#3 maxkool, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They might be a bit suspicious, but you can brush it off and just say you like the style. I think you should go for it.

5. jenben

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

I am going to do it. I think I just needed a bit of reassurance