1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truscum?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerBoy17, Nov 13, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made a tumblr account a few days, and I've started noticed the darker sections of it... Including probably literally insane feminists/TERFs and otherkin and stuff like that. But what is truscum?Apparently it deals with transgender people who believe that you have to have dysphoria to be trans. The issue people see with this is that it invalidates non binary people, but mainly the ones with made up pronouns (starself, things of that nature).
    I still feel like I'm not understanding this entire thing. Can someone explain the truscum thing to me? And I'd like opinions on their views as well.

#1 DreamerBoy17, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Yosia

I'd recommend taking very little seriously on Tumblr.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a non-binary friend get sent death threats by some "proud truscum" for apparently being the reason the medical profession doesn't take trans people seriously, being the reason cis people think trans people are "freaks", and being "a confused little girl playing dress-up". So that's the impression I have of them.

#4 Maddy, Nov 13, 2015
  5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It means a trans person who thinks that you need dysphoria to be trans and gender is based on what your sex would ideally be. I'd advise not listening to antis about what truscum are, because most of them don't understand it. Most support non-binary genders, and are against nounself pronouns but there are exceptions to every rule.

Here's a post that goes a little bit more in depth about why: Explosives-B, The Basics of the "Truscum" Argument

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I would recommend avoiding LGBT stuff altogether on tumblr.

8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And that was your first mistake... :grin:

(sorry, I have nothing constructive to say xD)

9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Truscum is a tumblr word to describe a widespread, and certainly not tumblr-exclusive, concept. When it's not on tumblr, it's called transmedicalism. It just means you think people need dysphoria to be trans. It doesn't in any way exclude nonbinary genders, because you can have nonbinary dysphoria. It excludes things like stargender and cloudgender, but not more realistic nonbinary genders like agender and bigender. Transmedicalists get a bad rep on tumblr, but if you only look at the people on tumblr, any belief system will end up with a bad rep. Transmedicalists aren't all assholes as tumblr would have you believe. Out in the real world, we're perfectly lovely people with perfectly reasonable beliefs.

#9 darkcomesoon, Nov 13, 2015
  10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tumblr needs to die. It is the source of so much bullshit, judgment, made-up crap, and confusion for so many people.

Basically, if it's mentioned on tumblr and not widely discussed elsewhere, you can pretty safely assume it's bullshit perpetrated by people who have a need to be special, or people who are unusually angry.

I'd throw that term (and most of the rest of Tumblr) out the window and not give it a second thought.

11. Just Jess

I'm not in favor of anything with the word "scum" in it. I don't think most people here are. But, they are people that say "you must be xxx to be trans".

I'll give the word "truscum" its due. The people saying it are pointing at a legit problem. It's a danger we all face in our transition, being like that. We all go through a phase - I so did, I've seen every one of us here do it - where in order to escape our own problems and make ourselves feel more "real", we decide that this, that, or the other thing makes us a "real woman" or "real man". Now not all of us go this far, but a lot of us then decide that other people that aren't just like us don't belong in our community.

The backlash against it is just as bad, since arguing against the broad brush "medicalization" is arguing against everyone else's decision to take medicine, no matter how much of a good idea it was for them. It is literally doing the same thing - since you managed to solve your problems without medicine, other people should too.

The reality is, we're all people, we are all crapped on by society and have problems others don't just because we are who we are, we have our differences and another word for differences that sounds better in rhetoric is "diversity". We have a lot of diversity. That can make us stronger or weaker depending on how we look at it.

I prefer a "we're all in this together" outlook. People using words that end in "scum" obviously don't. And people threatening other people because they deal with their problems in a different way definitely don't.

#11 Just Jess, Nov 13, 2015
  12. thepandaboss

What's so wrong with that mentality? You kind of need dysphoria in some form (whether it's social, physical, or so on) to be trans/genderqueer/etc. Otherwise, how do you know you're trans? Your dysphoria might not be the same as someone else's but it's that part of you that says 'you don't fit into that role you were assigned.' Being trans isn't just something you choose because it's fun.

I hate to use a learning disorder as an example but it's relevant to me- you don't know you have a learning disorder, whether it's dyslexia or auditory processing disorder, etc, unless you know something's up. You might have trouble reading (in the case of dyslexia) or have trouble processing spoken words/auditory stimuli (like auditory processing disorder- hereby referred to as APD for the rest of the post). For you to have a learning disorder it has to exist in a tangible form. For many people, it can vary in severity. For example, I have APD. I have difficulty talking to people and on the phone but with practice and some help (for example, leaving and going to a quiet room or asking someone to slow down and repeat), I can have a full conversation with minimal difficulty. For other people, however, it can be so bad that even minor background noise can completely disrupt their ability to comprehend a conversation. The fact that our cases vary doesn't make either case 'more legitimate'. But if that difficulty in processing auditory stimuli doesn't exist and a diagnosis by an audiologist doesn't turn anything up, why identify yourself as having APD?

Granted, you don't need a gender therapist for you to know something's up with your gender, although a gender therapist should be able to help you figure it out. But in either case, there has to be a fire to make the smoke.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tumblr can be a super toxic place for trans people, and many people are just down right malicious, and judgmental is being generous about it.

14. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my understanding
    Truscum people are trans people who say you have to meet ALL these conditions to be legit trans

-known since birth
    -have social dysphoria
    -have mental dysphoria
    -have body dysphoria
    -dysphoria has to be so bad that you have anxiety and/or depression
    -feel 100% like a man or woman

If you can not fit all these tumblr truscum will say you are a faker. That is my experience anyway

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, truscum people believe that you should have some form of dysphoria to be trans--if you have no dysphoria at all, then how do you identify as such. But that might be the side I've seen and not have encountered the others. I have encountered the "not trans enough" side of tumblr where people will say if you don't act or look a certain way, then you aren't a "real man or woman", whatever that means.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is the most ridiculous pile of crap I have read in recent times. It's devaluing, insulting, and offensive to trans people.

Anyone who says any of the above is (a) judgmental and (b) not worth your time. Their opinions shouldn't matter and, quite frankly, they just need to be ignored.

17. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The most important thing is to not take anything on Tumblr seriously. Not only are there a LOT of people who are confused and uninformed spreading a wild amount of misinformation, there are also a lot of people who like starting fights and drama and will be mean on purpose. (to feel good about themselves? for attention? just for something to do? who knows!)

As for the underlying debate, the gist of it is that some people think dysphoria is a defining characteristic of being transgender and other people don't. The first group is called "truscum" or "transmedicalists" (based on the notion that, since gender dysphoria can be helped by medical transition, it is a medical condition) and the latter group is called "tucute" (based, I think, on some of them using cutesy words for pronouns? I don't really know).

From what I've seen, the most vocal people on both sides fall into the category of people on Tumblr who just like to start drama to feel important. They probably don't give a crap one way or the other in real life.

Of the people I've seen who seem to be debating it seriously, it really looks to me like they're just using words differently and not really disagreeing! ie, someone will say, "I'm trans but I don't have dysphoria. I don't mind my female body, but I would be a lot happier if I could get top surgery and have a male chest. I don't know why you would say you have to have dysphoria to be trans though." And then someone points out, "Um, that feeling you have that you would be happier with a male chest post-top surgery? That's a type of dysphoria."

18. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also
    -be deep stealth and thus by definition pass perfectly
    -never use the word "identity" in relation to your gender

19. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, basically, it's more tumblr name calling. When it comes to social issues I feel like Tumblr is like that annoying little sibling in internet form. Tumblr doesn't really understand how the world works or the issues the big kids are talking about but it has to butt in with it's "opinion" anyways. It's always getting too easily offended... It calls you all kinds of names and when you try to make them stop it throws a tantrum and claims it's being picked on.... And it's always trying to get attention by causing a fuss over nothing... Seriously, tumblr needs to grow the fack up!

That's just kind of how I see it though, I've never really delved into tumblr culture but I've seen what boils over from their pot enough...

#19 Nekoko, Nov 13, 2015
  20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought many of the more radical truscumers were against those who are stealth?