1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of the politics

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Just Jess, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Just Jess

Did anyone when they first came out, feel like they had to take a crash course in feminism, gender theory, and biology? I mean I know it comes with the territory. But especially lately, it seems like there are just little bits of pressure everywhere you turn. Everyone has an opinion, and I have to think about how just me being me affects everyone around me, all the time.

I just need a chance to grow into womanhood. Why is that so controversial?

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean. I hate my existence being turned into a political statement, you know? I just want to live my life.

3. thepandaboss

Yup. And that bothers me. I certainly don't mind learning a few things but I also don't think that everyone should be automatically be expected to feel or think the same thing. There's people out there who basically think you should want cis people (especially cis men) to die for no reason, even if they're good people/allies. I even had a cis feminist tell me it was wrong for me to feel different. And I'm not changing how I feel just because of cis guilt/identity politics.

Also, trans people shouldn't be expected to be educators/advocates just because they're trans. Sometimes the biggest activism just comes from being able to live your life.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^^this

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly.

And with trans representation in the media on the rise, things just get more messy. I mean, its nice that visibility is increasing, but now if you're trans many may assume that you are because its "trendy" (insert gag here) thereby creating a host of other issues...

I just wish... We could all get the treatment we need, without the political and cultural and personal upheaval.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homosexuality had the same issue. The more public represtation it got the more people felt safe to come out, especially the younger generation. As a result many people believed it a 'phase' or a new trend. Some people see it that way still, but many don't.

Transgender people are now going through this part of public awaremenss as well. More and more people are coming out and we are being labeled a trend (tumblr is not helping this.)

I do try to educate/advocate trans right on Facebook when I see transphoboic shit on comments, but I don't think all trans people should have, which a lot of other trand people think all trans people should. Some people want to transition quietly and go on with life.

7. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it is so frustrating. Until six months ago I was completely unaware of anything that had to do with gender because of the disconnect. I feel so lost trying to figure out how to approach the endless tensions, arguments and conflicting opinions that surround the subject. In the end, we are going through such a complicated and painful process of identity construction and everywhere we look someone is saying things that invalidate our identities or make us feel bad for trying to behave in a way that makes us feel comfortable. :frowning2:

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Fortunately I had my dosis of De Beauvoir as a teenager, and had a fascination with 'big' ladies like NÏn or Woolf. I also had the chance to read a couple of books by trans writers.

Now, if you ask me to go there and try to 'educate' someone, at the cost of my own sanity, and do it everyday and become what they call 'a social justice warrior', I'll refuse. When I meet somebody who seems a bit open minded, then I'll try to do my best, but still I don't spend my time trying to 'convince' anyone of anything. I'll stand up for myself and for the rest of us when it's required, I'll go to LGTB related events 'cause we need to get out there and stop being invisible, having our own story written by others...

That's all I'm able to do. I don't speak anymore to deaf walls, no way... What do you expect from a world where the color of your skin or your name will get you a different treatement?

9. wanderinggirl

Yup. When your identity changes it doesn't automatically make you the poster child for that identity or all queer identities for that matter.

But sometimes I find myself needing to take up that position. Like when someone asks why I don't present more femininely ("if you're into women who like women, why don't you dress like a woman?"). I think it should just be accepted as a matter of individual choice and not as a political choice... alas.

Anyways, educating yourself on feminism and whatnot is never a bad idea; I went through so much self-education and I think it's taught me compassion and solidarity with other queer people/identities, but it's by no means a requirement.

10. GenderSciFi

Hm, I'm ambiguous on this. On the one hand, I'm a feminist and think of gender in political ways, and that helps me to understand stuff. I like to discuss about it in political terms with friends who won't judge me.

On the other hand, I hate it when people treat me like a political issue, not a person. Or when they ask me questions about parts of the queer scene that I have no personal connection to, just because it's somehow politically connected with how i identify. In short, it makes me miserable when my trans experience is being treated like a political decision. It's not.
    Also, I feel deep sympathy for all the trans folks who just wanna live their lives. You shouldn't have to deal with all of that crap to feel like a member of your own community. :icon_sad:

GenderSciFi

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Popular sports media made a mockery of the gender equality bill here in Massachusetts.

I try not to get into politics since it fucks with everyone and benefits no one.