1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nickname?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kyrin The Llama, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Kyrin The Llama

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have started identifying as genderfluid, and have found a name for myself.

However, I feel no need to come out to my parents at the moment.

I would still love to go by my chosen name instead of my birth name. How could I approach this subject with my parents?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, Kyrin.

If I were you, I'd approach it in a very neutral, non-gender related fashion. Simply, discuss with them that you wish to change your name. If they ask why, you could say that you believe people should have a right to pick their own name, and you feel that this one better describes you than your given name.

Even if they initially resist, you can calmly remind them and try to get them used to the idea by using it for yourself more often. For example, have friends call you your chosen name, and whenever there is opportunity to offer it (such as with online accounts) do so.

Depending on how old you are, your parents my or may not take you seriously. But if you stick with it, they'll eventually understand that you mean it.

Cheers.