1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beard dysmorphia?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CyanChachki, Nov 16, 2015.

1. CyanChachki

I'm not sure if this is what it's called or if it's something other FTMs go though.. but I have a problem with having no beard. I'm not exactly sure why, but I can't get over it. Plenty of biologically born men don't have and can't grow beards and they seem totally okay with it. Why am I not okay with it?

Every time I take a photo of myself, I draw a fake beard or create one, to make it look as though I actually have one. Multiple people have pointed it out and it's embarrassing. I wish I could grow something realistic looking enough, a full beard with no patches, like Seneca Crane from the Hunger Games. Does anyone else feel this way? What should I do to get over this?

2. noname8387

How long have you been on T? If not long, it will probably grow later, but yeah many men can't grow them and they are overrated. I don't grow mine because it gets really itchy and weird. Also I've come to find them a little gross lately but idk the reason, it could be dysphoria because I am questioning MtF or it could all be in my head.

3. CyanChachki

Hopefully. I have a bit, but not a whole lot. Sorry to hear that you may be feeling a bit of dysmorphia as well.

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you mean dysphoria? Dysmorphia is if it wouldn't go away even when you got a beard. Also yeah, I have that. I just shave peach fuzz.

5. CyanChachki

If that is the correct term, than I apologize. This thread was made after I had a deep, long train of thought based on recent events on my current profile picture on Facebook, which I'm now covering because I'm sick of all the "Did you draw on your beard?" questions.

I'm glad and sad that you feel that way as well. Glad, because there's someone out there who feels the same way I do and sad, because it's a terrible feeling to have. After thinking about it a bit more, I feel that it's an overall thing. I'm not desperate to show people that I am male, as in, doing things that aren't me, just to prove it with positive results. So with that, I know it has nothing to do with feeling less like a man. I suppose one day I'll understand it, it just doesn't seem to make sense, is all.