1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transphobia and my take

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dylanisawsome19, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I will go ahead and specify I am 100% positive I am cis male but that doesn't mean I don't support transgender people... The problem is I'm from a state dominated by religion and homo- and transphobia.

In a debate that ultimately ended by me getting scared because I almost got physically attacked. This man said transgender people are just "next level fags" and I tried explaining he was wrong and transgender people are legit in the wrong body and have their own unique sexual orientation and he quickly escalated it more than it ever should have been. I tried defending the transgender community but he wasn't having and I left after he drew back to punch me.

To me I know I can never understand what it's like for a transgender. But I can offer my love and support for them. I cannot imagine the agony they feel. The hate they face. And I hope I can be someone that can help them feel like they aren't the freaks society labels them as. To me I see it as a normal thing and a tough break that they were born in the wrong body.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're put in danger by stating your opinion (which you shouldn't be, but you are) I'd recommend not saying it. Thank you, though. I also live in a conservative town which is terrifying as a stealth, feminine FtM. I once bought a Taylor Swift CD at Walmart and was told to get HIV :/

3. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I agree with baconpox, you shouldn't put yourself in danger. I'm really grateful for you standing up for us, though, and I appreciate the support.

4. Just Jess

I kind of like "next level fag" and am tempted to wear it like a badge of honor. But honestly we're all just people trying to make our way through a world that doesn't get us. Just like you. There's nothing next level about us.

5. iiimee

Still... "next level fag" sounds like a good name for a punk metal song... Somebody get to writing it and make some cool t-shirts to go along with it! (!)

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except some people were hetero cis before coming to terms with being gay trans.

7. thepandaboss

So? Either way, that's still what a lot of people think being trans is. The idea of a transgender person having a sexuality is something that so many people just don't get. So even if, say, I was someone who only dated men before coming to terms with a male identity, I'd still be perceived as "very gay bull dyke" by certain people even though before, I was seen by many people as a straight woman.

--

OP, you're an amazing person. I just hope you stay safe.

8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, I know. I was just saying

9. Just Jess

Oh I'm totally a "fag", just not a "next level" one. This isn't the place to talk about exploits but I am very fond of women. I just don't like the idea of being "more" of anything than anyone else in our little acronyms. We're all on equal footing in my opinion.

10. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A thing about me though... I hate the work fag in general... and I also hate when people are so bigoted and hate-filled that they hurt others. Even before I came to terms with being gay I was an ally to the LGBT community so I often put myself in potentially dangerous situations but this was the first time someone ever went this far.

11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree, "next level fag" is metal and kinda awesome. We should reclaim it! XD

OP (can we safely surmise that your name is Dylan?), try to stay safe. You don't have to necessarily give up defending people, but pick your battles and know when to walk away. Thank you though, seriously. In our community (the MOGAI/LGBTQIA+ one), we really all need to stick together. There's still so many of us that aren't safe or able to speak up for ourselves, so we need others that are in a place where they can speak to do so. :slight_smile: You rock.(*hug*)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.