1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ronin, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I'm about 13 months on T now. While my voice has dropped considerably, it still sounds... not quite right. This isn't just dysphoria talking, others think so too. I'm also unable to speak loudly or yell. My voice doesn't crack, it simply doesn't go louder than a certain point (which isn't much). This is troublesome in noisy environments. I realize that the voice takes time to mature, but something's off, here.

My voice has mostly settled for a few months, now. So I'm thinking I'd like someone to help me out and see if there's something that needs to be done (therapy wise). But who would I be looking for? A speech-language pathologist? A voice coach? I'm not really sure where to begin.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That does sound a bit off. I would reach out to your doctor first, he may be able to point you in the right direction. Also, have your been having your levels monitored? If you haven't had a test done lately, I would have one ran to make sure that you are within the normal levels.

3. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Brad, I appreciate the reply. I should clarify that "weird" means I sound like a 13-year-old - deep, but very kid-like still. Naturally, I'm quite concerned about this. I've never seen this happen before with other trans guys. I'm speaking with my chest voice, so I don't think it's that.

Last time I met with my endo he said, "Levels are a bit higher than I'd like," but he didn't seem too worried about it. He's busy, though, and takes months to get in to see. I think because of that, he doesn't like to stay and talk about concerns, much. I won't get a chance to talk with him until Spring next year.

Last time I had bloodwork was quite a while ago. I'm getting it done again near the beginning of Dec.

To be honest, I'm kinda embarassed by the whole situation. I'm also worried that if I bring this up to my doc, she'll pooh-pooh it. I sometimes don't get taken seriously by doctors. It's because I get anxious (I have social anxiety) and everything comes out wrong so I end up sounding like an idiot lol
    -_-

#3 Ronin, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If there is no medical reason behind it, I would consider going to see a communication therapist, their job is to treat problems like the one that you describe. I hope you find a way to get this sorted out. (*hug*)

#4 Eveline, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015