1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure of my gender identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by raveonette, Nov 21, 2015.

1. raveonette

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So i'm not sure how to identify my gender. I was assigned male at birth, but i definitely don't feel like i have always resonated with my gender. I often resonate feeling female at times but usually i feel somewhere in the spectrum of in between genders but not exactly both or either, or one or the other. It's like I feel a spectrum of androgyny but not exactly in the middle either. I think that gender fluid makes the most sense but even then, i'm not sure. I have no problem with any pronouns. Call me whatever.

To be honest I've always felt self conscious about my maleness in physical terms. I'm self conscious of the deepness of my voice and i don't really like facial or body hair except my pubic area and armpit area. I don't really shave my leg hair just cause it's not really thick and looks decent. I wish my body were a bit more androgynous looking but i do my best with what i have. I keep my body slim, and hair semi long (well it's a natural afro which is a pretty gender neutral hair style) but i don't feel my hair length/style determines my gender. In terms of expression, I don't really dress that masculine or feminine. My style is difficult to describe but you could parallel it to the way Prince or David Bowie dress stylistically (not like 'exactly' but just the way they express themselves fashion-wise). I don't wear make up except for eyeliner occasionally and sometimes I'll wear black nail polish but I don't invest too much into it compared to clothes. My mannerisms and behavior are kind of in between genders. I kind of act like a tomboy if that makes sense but i do get pretty feminine at other times. I'm very passive socially.

In terms of sexuality, I'm mainly attracted to women although in this stage of my life i have been a bit bi-curious (i've made out with a few men but i haven't been sexually involved with men). I'm also VERY attracted to androgynous people.

So what term would work well with my identity? I'm at least in the general scope of genderqueer but i feel i'm a bit more specific somewhere in that range.

2. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you're indeed nonbinary, but possibly also female in some way. Does demigirl, nonbinary female, or androgyne resonate with you? You could also just say female-leaning genderqueer or androgynous genderqueer or something along those lines. Are you uncomfortable simply calling yourself genderqueer?

3. raveonette

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I personally have no issue with any term that i'm being called. I just was under the impression that genderqueer was an umbrella term which included more specific identities like non-binary and gender fluid. I'm just not sure which term best describes my personal gender identity.

---------- Post added 21st Nov 2015 at 02:41 PM ----------

Also I'm not sure if i'd say female leaning. I'm definitely not predominately one side or the other. i just fluctuate in this androgynous area in between genders so i may lean towards one side or the other but its inconsistent and depends. So like on a 'scale' of 1-10, 1 being cis male and 10 being cis female. I probably stay in a range of 4-6 but i'm never on any number for too long. Depends on the day or situation.

#3 raveonette, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015