1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated, need help dealing with dysphoria and age

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerBoy17, Nov 22, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in a rough spot lately. My life has definitely improved through the last few weeks (new haircut, binder) and these have totally helped a lot, but the dysphoria just moves to somewhere else and it sucks.
    Right now, I'm out to several of my close friends and my mom, all of whom are extremely supportive. I've gotten my friends to call me by my name and pronouns, and I often vent to my mom, and she got me my binder and is looking to get me to a gender therapist. But sometimes I feel so unfulfilled. I have to act completely female at home (my parents are divorced, I live with my dad most of the time). I really want to come out as trans to the majority of my friends, I am ready and I'm not afraid of coming out, but I worry that it would be seen as too rash to just come out. I'm not sure why, but something needs to be done soon. The social dysphoria has only gotten way worse, and I need to hear my correct name and pronouns, it is really tearing me apart not to be properly recognized as male.

Secondly, the frustration with my age. I'm 14, which puts a ton of restrictions on what I can and can't do. I want T so achingly badly, but I probably won't get it until I'm 18 because of my stupid dad. Because I know my mom would let me go on it if she had me full custody. And my dad is verbally abusive. He plays mind games with all of my siblings and I, and threw a fit when I got my hair cut. If things get worse throughout the year, my mom said I could move in with her and her boyfriend. I wish I could just be older. I want to do more to transition.

Until then, I'd like advice on how to cope with dysphoria.
    Right now, my dysphoria is mainly focused on my feminine face, voice, height, and curves. And of course the crushing social aspect. I tend to have dysphoria in cycles, for the past 2 weeks I've mostly been fine, but now I can feel it starting up again. Yesterday was horrific and anxiety filled.

This is very scattered and I'm sorry for that, but I really needed to vent. I would love any advice you all can give. Thank you.

2. YinYang

If you feel ready to come out, the you can come out. If anyone tells you that you are 'too young to know', explain to them how some trans people figure out their true gender identity at age 6, and that any age is the right age to figure yourself out. I'm sure plenty of people will be accepting and whoever isn't just isn't worthy of your friendship.

As for coping with dysphoria:
    For 'that time of the month', just remember that you are twice the man of any AMAB guy out there because you bleed for a week straight and still go about your day like it's nothing. Taking a bath can help, too because it stops the blood flow for a little bit. I'm assuming you are short, since you have dysphoria about your height, so remember that there are plenty of short guys out there and they are adorable! For your voice, try to speak from your chest instead of your head. I saw a Tumblr post that helped with deepening your voice, I'll try to find it and put it on this thread. Wear slightly baggy clothes and/or lots of layers to hide your curves. Having people use the right pronouns helps with dysphoria a lot, so telling at least a few more people could help.

(*hug*) I hope you feel better and that people accept you for who you are. If you want to talk, feel free to message me/post on my wall/whatever it's called. I wish you the best of luck.

3. Minnie

Sorry you've been going through all of that, but kudos to you that you've pulled through for so long. The force is strong in you! :starwars: (sorry, had to)

RE hormones, how does access to hormones depend on your parents? Do both guardians have to be in agreement that you can take T or hormone blockers?
    If you feel that your father is overwhelming, ask your mum if you can move in with her. It might be a good idea to talk to her about how your dad might react to this, however.

As for disphoria, here's what I recommend:
    Watch this video on deepening your voice without hormones and see if it helps. Just watch out that you don't hurt your throat. But remember, you've got youth on your side, so a higher-pitched voice shouldn't be a huge giveaway about your sex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBgYZKZXC38

For your looks, why not try out some haircuts that bring out a boyish look in your face? There might be some styles that, depending on how they fit round your face, could make you look more masculine. Perhaps you can mix something together that gives you look like an angrogynous male?
    I'm not sure what you can do about your height. You're still growing, so maybe you'll take a stretch soon. Just make sure that you're eating healthily so that your bones and muscles grow well.
    As for the curves, some will be there until you start hormones, and even after (ie the pelvis). You can try to counteract these with muscle-building exercises. Choose clothes that appear to give you a more masculine build. Make use of the body you have and adapt it to its own masculine version - if you're slender, you can be a slender guy; if you're bulky, you can be a muscular guy.
    Don't, however, push your body too hard or constrain it too much. Remember that binders are for day-time use only. If you feel your binder is too constrictive/affects your breathing, try two sports bras with one worn the normal way round and the other, the opposite way round. This method will require bras that don't stretch too much.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks peeps, I really needed the support. Your advice really means a lot. :slight_smile: