1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginning to question gender identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Artemisarked, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Artemisarked

Honestly, I never thought that I would be questioning this part of myself; it seemed difficult enough to come to terms with my sexuality, but now other parts of me are breaking open. I don't know whether it's college, the fact I'm currently away from my parents, or am just interested in the idea of breaking away from the gender binary; it's really scary, and of course, I don't want to fall into this for the wrong reasons.

I read through the GENDER book yesterday and feel like a certain nerve struck in me; to start, biologically I have always been male and consequently, have considered myself a male. But this doesn't ring true as much mentally? I tend to imagine myself as either part of both genders or not really falling into either, but I'm not sure if this is just a fantasy feeling or something I've been suppressing. Not to be stereotypical but I've realize that I have experimented with different modes of appearing "feminine" while I was younger (wearing a wig around the house, trying on panties once, pretending my bath towel was a dress, etc.). Sometimes I'm not sure which is the "real" of me: my current all-male presentation, a more "feminine" state of mind, or just not really thinking at all about the gender binary. Of course, I'm fine with wearing male clothes, but they feel limiting in a sense? Like on some days I would probably feel like wearing a dress or something else just to feel what it would be like. But due to my upbringing, I would be afraid of doing such a thing in public or if family members found out.

Yeah sorry, I'm just so confused right now lol. Is there any more books or resources available that could help me figure this out (I know I could Google these things, but I'm wondering if anything in particular would be very helpful)? Thank you!

2. noname8387

Hi! I feel quite identified with what you said, though I think my gender inconformity is a little bigger than yours. From what you said I don't think you are transgender, maybe just think about as a gender non-conforming male. And remember that the hyper masculinisation of men is almost never true, and almost none fits the gender binary completely. guys can like girl things and girls can like guy things and that's ok.

(!)

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds more like not fitting into gender roles

4. BigRedSailor

You are not alone hun. I am in the same boat. Society puts us in boxes. Just be yourself now or I promise you will be unhappy.