1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking names!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JackIsANerd, Nov 23, 2015.

1. JackIsANerd

So I have been thinking of names for a long time but I was having trouble deciding because I don't know what would really fit me, but I have finally decided on a name that I like! The name is Alex and it kind of just clicked in my head the other day. Its actually a name I liked when I was younger I actually had a few guy names I really liked no girl ones though (I wonder if that hints at anything hmmm). But yeah how long did it take everyone to decide on a name or are you still deciding? :grin:

Also hi! I am Alex (*hug*)

2. ruby421

alex is an awesome name, it was always my favorite name as a i grew up :grin: i think it could fit

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loved the name Alexander since I was little, so it automatically clicked with me. There are others I thought about, but they either don't flow right or feel right. It also helped that I had a friend with the same name who was an aspiring filmmaker and helped fuel my interest in also making a living in the arts. I know I thought about dropping it for a while and switching to Andros because Alex (or some variation of it) is really common and I like obscurity. While I do love the name Andros, something felt off when I'd hear other people say it (myself included). The same goes for Aaron, Adam, Holden, and the other names I had in mind. The only problem with Andros is if it gets shortened as Andy, since I have a close friend with that name and I'd hate to get us confused for one another

Middle name wise took more time. I remember spending an afternoon on the couch the summer I had the do or die realization writing down name combinations to find what fit me well. I tried just about twenty names, and some I still get emails under. Had you asked me this question about three years ago, I would have said my middle name was Tobias, Jackson, or Mason. As of now, I've currently settled with Jerick--as a nod to an actor/singer/drag performer I came across about two years ago who was the embodiment of everything I wanted to be and is just a precious cinnamon roll. So from the real "do or die awakening" to now, it has taken me 3-4 years to find my middle name.

#3 Daydreamer1, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  4. JackIsANerd

Oh wow! Pretty cool you put so much time into picking the perfect name! Right now I have only settled on Alex no middle name yet I will probably work on that at a later time.

5. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great name, Alex!
    It took me about 2 years, and the name I eventually settled on (Kai) was staring back at me this whole time. I do like it because it's a name that can be unisex, and it kind of makes sense to use it as a nickname for my given name.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like DayDreamer Alexander was a name that has clicked with me since I was a wee little thing. So when I was looking for named it was the one to go with.
    As well I knew it would be a middle name since both my siblings have A middle names and I wanted to keep it up.
    A first name was tricky but I settled on Nicholas, since my current middle name is Nicole, and Nicholas feels not to masculine as well as familiar. Took me a year to decide on it, before that I was thinking Jace Alexander or Vincent Alexander. Buy Nicholas Alexander suits me best.

7. JackIsANerd

Alex does seem pretty popular! But that is okay I am fine with having a common name because it clicked with me, I will probably go with Alexander and Alex for short.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Name websites can help a lot if you aren't sure, and some can get pretty specific (such as if you're looking for uncommon or unusual names to their country or nation of origin). I know a few have lists with all kinds of names, such as after fictional characters, celebrity baby names, or the best to me is "hipster".

9. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I see Alex is a very big name round here, ha

10. Michael492

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was trying to decide on a name, Alex was what I was going to choose. Haha. I love that name. When I came out to my friends though they started calling me Mich, Mich became Michael after a while so I decided to keep it.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went with Alec for myself. I wanted something that wasn't terribly common, but people knew how to spell/pronounce it (unlike my birthname, which is an embarrassing nightmare). It's classy, palatable, and has a tone that fits me. I don't know anyone with that name, so there are no preconceived associations. The names I was juggling with beforehand were: Peter, Christopher, David, Christian, Emmett, Gray/Grayson, and James. Finally I picked Alec, told my brother about it and of course EC. Also shortly after I settled on "Alec" I started watching Broadchurch, and one of the main characters is a Detective Inspector Alec Hardy, played by my favourite actor David Tennant. That character I related a lot to on a personal level, so the fact that my name happened to be the same was sort of the "final sign" that told me it was the right one.

All in all, picking my first name took about 9 months. Ironic, if you think about it.

My middle name, Sebastian, took another while. I picked it solely due to meaning - which is "Honor." Being an honorable man is something I strive to be, and having a name that means honor will be a constant reminder.

But enough of that.

Personally I think Alexander/Alex is a strong name, and is both cool and regal at the same time. Hopefully it's the right one for you.

12. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went with Alec for myself. I wanted something that wasn't terribly common, but people knew how to spell/pronounce it (unlike my birthname, which is an embarrassing nightmare). It's classy, palatable, and has a tone that fits me. I don't know anyone with that name, so there are no preconceived associations. The names I was juggling with beforehand were: Peter, Christopher, David, Christian, Emmett, Gray/Grayson, and James. Finally I picked Alec, told my brother about it and of course EC. Also shortly after I settled on "Alec" I started watching Broadchurch, and one of the main characters is a Detective Inspector Alec Hardy, played by my favourite actor David Tennant. That character I related a lot to on a personal level, so the fact that my name happened to be the same was sort of the "final sign" that told me it was the right one.

All in all, picking my first name took about 9 months. Ironic, if you think about it.

My middle name, Sebastian, took another while. I picked it solely due to meaning - which is "Honor." Being an honorable man is something I strive to be, and having a name that means honor will be a constant reminder.

But enough of that.

Personally I think Alexander/Alex is a strong name, and is both cool and regal at the same time. Hopefully it's the right one for you.

13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Alex, it does seem to be a common name but it's nice and it suits you. :slight_smile:

I chose my name, Wolfgang, as it is the name my grandparents would have used if they'd had a son, after their favourite composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. I asked my parents for what they would have called a boy but the only name they had was my brother's name, so I skipped a generation.

14. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it took about 5 or 6 months for me to decide on my names. I've always like the names Dorian and Adrian, and I used to think "if I was a guy I would really like to be called Dorian" and when I realised I actually was a guy and could take that name I thought it would be too strange, that people would find it weird, etc, so I settled for a gender neutral name (Lo) for a while, but it didn't really click and felt it was too close to my birth name. So I decided to go with Dorian anyway, and I'm glad I did. I like having an unusual name.

I haven't really thought about middle names until quite recently, I was first thinking of going with Lo and something else, like Jon or Patrick, but eventually I dropped Lo completely and went with Gabriel and Alexander as my middle names. I wanted two middle names because I had two before, just as the rest of my family. I would have asked them for name advice if I was out to them, or take what they would have called me if I was born a boy, but I've known since I was little they never had a backup name for me.