1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

being misgendered and lacking friends

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by crystalgem, Nov 27, 2015.

1. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    Number one: I feel a little hopeless about actually having my gender validated by other people..
    I feel like I'm just always going to be misgendered. I fucking hate it.
    People just always call me "she" and I feel like even if I told them they still wouldn't respect that I'm agender.
    I feel like I would just have to appear in a way so that people can't tell what gender I am so they can't misgender me...but um no. I should be able to wear whatever I want.

Also I really want some nonbinary friends or just more people who will support me! So when someone misgenders me that friend will stick up for me and tell them what my pronouns are and stuff like that...

Kinda off topic, but I went shopping today (black friday) and got some clothes I like but omg if only I had a binder, like I put on a t shirt I got and I was just like wow it's great if I ignore this situation here....

2. Riz

Riz

Anything outside the classic gender roles (female, male or anything towards it) is sadly dismissed as being "confused" by many. I recognize your problem, if you tell them they just say "Huh." and then go back to calling you by birth gender... It's sad and it shouldn't have to be that way.
    I've seen a slight change in that attitude the last few years, but just among certain groups of people. I'm sure you can find a local group of other agender/genderneutral/etc and get a bit of support, and if you introduce them to your current friend. They might, as you suggest, normalize the thought of agender.

As for clothes, you could always try something more androgynous for a while and see what it feels like. Until you eventually go back into something inbetween or whatever you're comfortable with.

3. Fairyglitter

Out Status:
    Some people
    This probably won't help, but it's the same for me. I feel like I will always be misgendered and have most people not respecting my gender. I've been wanting to cut my long hair, even though I like it the way it is, in hope that people won't assume my gender and have to ask. I like wearing those sweatshirts that zip up all the way to cover my face and I feel great when I wear a binder.

Also, if you are planning on getting a binder (if you don't already have one) be sure to do your research and bind safely. Maybe if you've got the money you can get one to see how it feels. Unless of course you're fine with what you have.

As for the friends things, I would totally be there for you to support you if I knew you. Which got me thinking, What if those people are out there and you just gotta reach out to them?

4. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually cut my hair recently, but now people think I'm a "sir" from behind ugh and I think I look ugly
    I've been planning to secretly get a binder for months now, really want the gc2b binder
    other than the gc2b, i wouldn't rly use any other binder
    and maybe you're right, like people in my school's gsa
    i've been trying to go to a meeting for a while but i have social anxiety and won't go unless my friend goes with me, and so far she's gone once but i haven't gotten to go yet

5. crystalgem

Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually cut my hair recently, but now people think I'm a "sir" from behind ugh and I think I look ugly
    I've been planning to secretly get a binder for months now, really want the gc2b binder
    other than the gc2b, i wouldn't rly use any other binder
    and maybe you're right, like people in my school's gsa
    i've been trying to go to a meeting for a while but i have social anxiety and won't go unless my friend goes with me, and so far she's gone once but i haven't gotten to go yet