1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents won't allow me to experiment with my gender.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by QueerAF, Nov 27, 2015.

1. QueerAF

Hey, I'm 16. I've been getting increasingly more uncomfortable with my gender assigned at birth (male). I've been wanting to experiment, and see what I feel comfortable in, but my parents are transphobic, homophobic, basically they hate anything lgbtq+. I can't get support from my friend, he is fine with gay people, but he believes that being trans is a mental illness. I have another friend who, seriously, wouldn't care, but I can't really go to them for support, I can't really explain why, but I just can't. Then everyone else I know, whether they be family or any of my other "friends", are also anti lgbtq+. Then my school is a small, christian school so no school counselor to talk to, or teacher. There are no other trusted adults for me to talk to. I just feel trapped, unsupported, unloved, and alone:help:. Thanks for reading my ramble.

2. Riz

Riz

Is there any trans support groups, or just lgbt groups in general in your area? If you can get there on your own you could just tell your parents that you're gonna meet a few friends (which wouldn't be a lie) for now.

3. Fairyglitter

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a shame that you have to go through that. I hope it gets better somehow. And as for what Riz said, you should totally do your research. People like us are out there.

4. Kamina

Hey dude, don't put too much pressure on yourself. Coming from another trans person who went to a small-ish Catholic school, it's pretty stifling; but it ends sooner than you think. I wasn't able to join any groups, I didn't tell anyone I knew there but I did do small things that help a lot more than you would think. For me, that included getting rid of all but my sports bras, cutting my hair off, and refusing to wear dresses. Maybe you can try just painting your toes at first? Then look into some other small things that you can cover or pass off as "normal"?(ugh sorry)

But I got to university and I was able to join an LGBT+ group and I got some amazing friends and I have been able to get a binder and have had people help me along the way. It feels like no one loves you but they do, and in a short time you will meet people who love and support you a lot.

Plus the gender binary is a lie and if someone gives you shit for wanting to experiment punch them. I mean my parents are also pretty transphobic at times but my brother still used to wear my heels on occasion and he's cis. Like tell your parents your friend made you a bet or something that you couldn't walk in them. You got this. You'll get there don't worry.