1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When friends use the right pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JackIsANerd, Nov 29, 2015.

1. JackIsANerd

Does anyone else just get super happy when people use your correct pronouns? My friends used he and they tonight and it made me so happy and it just felt right! (He feels better than they but I am okay with it) I am just so glad they accept me and I can feel a little like myself when talking to them its just so amazing :grin:

2. Cinder

Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree, so awesome. Right now I can only get a few people to use the right ones all the time but every time they do it just...I donno, makes me feel happy. I think it makes me realize that they know how important it is to me and so it's important to them too

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, though the only time I've had someone refer to me by male pronouns directly and non accidentally was with a teacher/advisor back when I was in high school. She was super cool about it, and made special effort. It was an awesome feeling. *nostalgic sigh*

I'm glad for you, brother. Tis good for the soul to have friends such as those.

#3 Kodo, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend accidentally used he/him pronouns for me the other day (I use they/them because I'm not all the way out yet, but I am out to this friend), and I grinned about it for like a solid minute. It's really exciting to finally be gendered properly after a lifetime of being misgendered, and it takes a while to really get used to it and for the excitement to wear off. Even after you do get used to it, it still feels good. It just doesn't feel exciting anymore; it feels normal (and that's a pretty nice feeling too).

5. JackIsANerd

That is awesome! I am glad you have a great friend too (*hug*) It feels pretty amazing to finally be me :grin: The excitement will probably last for a long time

6. Prince Toby

Out Status:
    A few people
    i agree! I get mad pumped when people use my correct pronouns it feels like everythings how its supposed to be. It makes my whole day!

7. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't wait for this actually. I'm so eager to ask my friends to just stop misgendering me

8. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That sounds magical! Congratulations! Someday (hopefully soon) I hope to be feeling the same thing.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it's amazing! Some of my really good friends call me by male pronouns, but it really snapped when they began giving me nicknames based on my preferred name (something we do a lot). It was so cool.

10. Magenta Mucus

My friends use the correct pronouns but I'm barely out and they use it quite loudly...

11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the one or two times they have so far, it feels amazing, so right and normal. Hopefully my name and pronouns catch on soon with them better.

12. Jellal

I like it more and more every day.

13. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends tend to just use my pronouns or name to mock me. I don't think they really understand. They'll be in a conversation and go 'Nicole... sorry, Abrey' and laugh a bit as if it's intended to embarrass me. And when I tell them neutral pronouns, they usually use 'it' and justify it with 'well, it's neutral!' And laugh about it. I've tried pushing for they/them pronouns but when they remember, it's always 'it'.

#13 ResidentTheatreKid, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  14. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I get super stoked when people who know me in real life call me 'they'! Although it's less a sense of excitement and more...I dunno, it's excitement and perfect calm at the same time. Either way, lots of positive emotions in the direction of the person who used the right(er) pronouns!

(Until I wig myself out about it by overthinking things, haha.)

15. JackIsANerd

Oh no that is terrible! They aren't good friends at all I am sorry they treat your name and pronouns like that D: I really hope they learn to understand and respect you! (*hug*)

16. YinYang

I can't wait until this sort of thing happens to me. Most of my friends don't know I'm not a girl, but I'm working on it.

17. Chewsy

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't actually came out to certain friends, and they still call me 'she' and it just irritates me, my parents know my pronouns but still call me 'daughter' and 'she' and it, ugh ;;
    The internet is the only place my pronouns are respected x'D

18. Ronelle

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh no! That's awful. Anybody who would treat you that way is not a friend at all! I can see it taking some adjustment period to get used to using they/them as singular pronouns rather than the plural we learned them as in elementary school but to use 'it' and laugh at you is never ok. I hope they either learn to be decent people soon or that you meet some new friends who are more accepting.

19. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The friends that I have here are awesome and always use the correct pronouns. :slight_smile: It feels so good. I had one friend message me like a week ago apologizing for using 'she' while talking to another person that I don't know and I wasn't even there! XD

I'm not sure about my real friends back home though. They all know, I came out to them last year, but other than my sister and 3 cousins, I've not talked to them about it again since. :/ Guess we'll see in 2.5 weeks when I'm home!

20. MtnCase

It was definitely thrilling when I had a few people in my life using correct pronouns on a daily basis. They are my roommates and do a great job of talking and treating me like the guy I see myself as. It is hard, though, when I go to work and nobody there knows I'm trans and customers and co-workers always use female names and pronouns. It sucks but they don't know any better. I just look forward to going home where people know the real me.