1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cope better with dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by eko, Dec 2, 2015.

1. eko

eko Guest

Lately, even though I got a haircut and look more masculine I've been feeling a lot more dysphoric. There's been times where I've almost been in tears and just feel so unhappy with myself knowing that I wont ever be in a male body. I'm not out to my mum so I can's access a binder in any way which doesn't help.

Does anyone have anyways of coping better with there dysphoria because if so I would love to hear it and try it out.

Thanks

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. *hug*

Well, the first is, be ready to embrace the chance to feel better, even though you might not be able to tell for certain what that is going to be. Don't hold out for "the one" in terms of "the one way to get better". You can try things and see if they work for you.

One of the things that can help you is to help yourself, perhaps later on with the help of a therapist, to see yourself in a more positive light. For example. You're male. And your body belongs to you. So it's your right to call it a male body if you want to. I'm not saying you should - just know that you are free to do so.
    And you say you won't "ever" be in a male body... Well, with hormone therapy and so on, if you want that, you'll definitely be in a male body, right?

Are you out to someone who might be able to give you support? It's not good to try to bear it all alone.

One thing I feel that can help me is talking to myself a bit in a nice way. Like, I'll lie in bed and think to myself or whisper under my breath, "I am Rebecca. I am a girl. I am a good person" over and over. It helps a bit.
    Doing things you associate with living out your gender freely (which doesn't necessarily have to be stereotypically male things, of course), can also help.

Hope that helps somewhat!
    (*hug*)

3. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, packing helps. If you just use a sock or two, maybe safety pin it in place, it works pretty well. Also getting rid of any regular bras you might have helps a bit; and two sports bras works pretty well to bind.