1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by rave, Dec 2, 2015.

1. rave

Out Status:
    Some people
    How long did it take you to find your new name? How long after that until you asked others to use it?

Did you change it legally? How long did you take to decide that was right for you?

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Choosing my name went weirdly quickly. I chose it impulsively and it stuck. It's just always felt right. I chose it about two years ago and didn't ask anyone to call me it until last November-ish when I told my girlfriend. Didn't ask anyone else until the beginning of this past summer. I'm still working on coming out to people and asking them to use my name.

I haven't changed it legally, but I intend to. I don't know exactly when I decided that. I just can't imagine living forever with a legal name that I hate and no one calls me.

3. rave

Out Status:
    Some people
    That is all both informative & encouraging! It's comforting to know I am not alone in choosing a name quickly but not disclosing it quickly

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine came pretty quickly as well. I was basically just browsing name sites, and Cody popped up. I don't recall when, or even how, but I just looked at it and it felt right. I knew it was me. When you find your name, you'll know. It sounds weird and cheesy but it's true. I hope to legally change it someday. And I asked most of my friends within the past month, but it doesn't seem to be sticking yet... Names take time!

Good luck!

5. rave

Out Status:
    Some people

Thanks Cody! Hopefully your friends see what a Cody you really are & catch the correct habit soon ^.^

6. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yeah, none of the people I told are really using Olivia yet, but that's okay. I'll give them time. It took me a long time to get to, because all the names I liked either just didn't feel right for me. Like I love certain names, and could possibly name a child of mine them some day, but they weren't me. And then, the first couple names I found that I felt were "me" were names I already knew people with, and it would be weird to come out and use the same name as a friend of mine. But eventually I found a name I was comfortable with.

7. rave

Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you mean, Olivia! I have a few names that I adore, but most of them would be perceived as too specifically gendered for me to feel comfortable applying to myself.

8. AxxeMyrmidon

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still haven't decided on a name yet. I have found a lot that I like, but I'm not sure exactly which one fits me best yet.

9. rave

Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel you! It took me a minute to get mine, but I love it now that I found it :]

10. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My name came about fairly quickly. I had been browsing some name sites and also asked my parents what they would call a boy, but they only had my brother's name. A while later, my Grandma mentioned that if she had had a son, she would have called him Wolfgang. I already liked the name Wolfgang so that's the name I chose for myself. All in all it took about a fortnight.

Some of my best friends use it now, and my mum knows about it but doesn't use it (although she is supportive, we agreed to delay transitioning until I'm 16, which I'm happy with). For me, the name really clicked with my friends not when they were calling me Wolfgang, but when they were calling me random nicknames for it that they thought up. That's what my mates are like.

So yeah, I know pretty much for definite now that my name is Wolfgang, and I'm sure that in the future I'll be changing it, but not soon.

11. rave

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, Wolfgang! How beautiful that your Grandmother played this role in your journey :]

12. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realised I was maybe a bit genderqueer about 9 months ago, and had a stage of just procrastinating really, until I realised that my name, and the use of she/her pronouns really annoyed me. It didn't feel like me. So I looked for names for about 5 months and couldn't find anything, then at some point I was on Magicbabynames.com and Abrey popped up as a unisex name, and it clicked with me. It's a really bad clique but it felt as if it was meant for me. None of my friends call me it because I don't want my parents to find out, so it's between me and you guys at the moment XD I'm going to legally change it as soon as I don't need parental permission!

13. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok turns out it was 11 months ago exactly, not 9 XD

14. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I tried a couple different names in the past, Tony being one I stuck with for a while. At the time I liked it... but while it was fun for a while I ended up not liking it for the long-term.

So I went through some other options, thought about how they fit with my last name/potential middle name(s), and wound up with Parker.

i'm going by a different masculine name right now... mostly because I can pass it off as a feminine nickname for my parents. But I prefer Parker so, if/when I change it that'll be my first name :thumbsup:

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First name wise, right away. I did question a few months ago if I should keep it (since it's honestly so popular that I feel weird about it), and my middle name took me about 3-4 years to settle on.

And nope, haven't changed it yet. Maybe next year!

16. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    It actually took quite some time! I tried different name, and at first I used a gender neutral name but I knew it was secretly not the name I wanted. So after a few months with the neutral name I decided to start testing my current name out, and even if it felt weird in the beginning it really stuck with me. I started asking my friends to call me my new masc name very soon after I decided to go with it and it really helped me to get used to it. I haven't changed it legally yet but I hope to do that next year. I have two new middle names as well.

#16 rolling orange, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  17. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I tried on LOTS of names: Andrew, Andrew Samuel, Samuel, and then I found Gerard. Gerard just felt totally right, like this is ME. It was a weird experience, I immediately knew this was 'my name'.

18. MetalRice

It came sort of quick for me, I threw around a few different options in my head, and when I came across the name "Kirsten" I knew it was just right, that it was me; so I fucking went with it.

I hope to change it legally one day, but I still go by my male birth name in real life and haven't asked anyone to use it yet.. it would create bad feels with the family I think right now; I go by it online through (outside of places my family would see)

#18 MetalRice, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  19. Riz

Riz

I had a male name I used for years, but after coming out the second time now I feel like I've.. Grown out of it. Actually don't mind my first name since it's actually a chosen name and not my birthname, so I'm in no hurry. Would still like to find a male name just for me, just haven't yet.

But but I'll answer this thread with what I use. It's actually my username here, I grew so fond of it and it's part of my lastname. So I started asking friends to call me it and I love it.

20. FootballFan101

I wanted I name that rymhed with my birth name