1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New name, binding, and masculine hairstyles

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by happyraindance, Dec 2, 2015.

1. happyraindance

So, I decided to change my name to Nick (originally Nikole) (not legally yet, just my twin calls me Nick) a while ago, but I sometimes find myself thinking of myself as Nikole still. I don't have anything against the name Nikole, its just not masculine- I would keep my name Nikole if the world wouldn't assume I'm female because of it. Does anyone else feel this way about their name? I've heard that you can make a binder out of 2 sport bras- is this true? How small of a chest size would I need to be for it to work? My mom and I made an agreement- If I curl my hair how she likes for a month, I van get whatever haircut I want (we've been fighting about me wanting a boy haircut for a while). My month is over on the 18th and I was wondering what hairstyles would be good for passing. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi there Nick! I think most trans people feel that way about their old names, they don't hate it but it prevents them from being perceived as themselves. The sports bra thing, yes and no. You probably should get an actual binder if you can. The sports bras can work, but that isn't what they are designed for and it just isn't that good for you. As for the haircut, you've seen boys with haircuts, you can decide what you want for yourself. Though, the more masculine the better, I suggest, because a gender neutral hair style might just muddy the waters and make it harder for people to tell you're a boy.

Good luck!

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people feel that way about their names, so don't worry about it.

Sports bra binders will make your chest flatter, no matter what your size. I'm an A cup and mine doesn't, but if I layer my clothing no one can tell.

Here's a link to an article about haircuts for trans boys: FTM Hairstyle Guide: Tips and Inspiration | Point 5cc

And here's a few for sports bra binding: 4 Ways to Bind Your Chest - wikiHow

Transgender Teen Survival Guide • *urgent because I need something soon* I have... (this one talks about breasts, so if that makes you dysphoric I'd proceed with caution)

There are a lot of binding methods, just don't use bandages or tape.