1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't mind terms from assigned gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by littleraven, Dec 4, 2015.

1. littleraven

It feels weird to be called a girl or a boy, but I don't mind being called aunt, niece, or a lesbian. Anyone else relate?

2. Riz

Riz

I'm something between a transman and non binary, I dislike almost all female titles except mom/mother which I use in front of my son... Which is odd but oh well.

3. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mmmm, kinda. I actually prefer the term aunt over uncle, I think it just has a different vibe than most "girl" terms, and in any case it sounds nicer. I also don't mind "girly" pet names (sweetie, honey, pumpkin, etc) when they come from my parents. Being called a lesbian doesn't bother me either, but I'll protest on principle because I don't even like girls :lol:

I definitely don't want to be called a girl, even in the context of a joking "oooh, gurl" type comment. And I don't like other "girl" terms like daughter/niece/sister/girlfriend... possibly because I've gotten too many cards with those kinds of terms on the front, so I just associate it with being thought of as female. I'm not sure why "aunt" doesn't fall in that category for me tbh :confused:

Mom/dad both bother me as well, if I have kids we'll have to come up with some alternative. My husband can be the "dad/daddy" of the house. Maybe I'll be "papa/pops" or something :grin:

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally cannot relate, but it's probably that trans-people in more of the "middle area" of the gender spectrum (e.g. non-binaries, trans-masculine/feminine, or androgyne) could relate more so.

I'm sharply in the male binary, thus it's very difficult for me to feel anything other than discomfort for female pronouns.

Personally I'd love to be an uncle one day, and referred to as such. I have almost slipped up and called myself that sometimes, saying things such as "I'll be the cool gay uncle of the family." Haha. Though could never fathom being called aunt, mother, grandma, niece, daughter, sister...

But I suppose, tis not a bad thing for you. If you're comfortable with it, then by all means.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to feel weird being called anything other than aunt, it took me a long time to become used to it. I'm not a fan overall of gendered terms though.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a problem being called female things, at the same time when my mom uses them I feel icky. I think its because I am out to her and I wonder if her using them means she actually still sees me as a girl.

I've never been fond of aunt. I don't mind being called girl in the context of a joke.
    Strangely enough I hate when friends call me brother, even if I don't mind bro.

7. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't imagine myself as anything other than a 'girlfriend' (or 'partner') in a romantic context! I'm certainly nobody's boyfriend. Perhaps their boifriend. And the word 'lesbian' is close to my heart even if it's not remotely accurate.

My mileage varies on a lot of female terms. Aunt? Nope. Lady? Hell nope. Woman? Nnnnno thank you. Girl? Alright. "A" girl? No, except in certain contexts. Sister...weird, but I'll take it.

I don't mind feminine-associated but not exclusively female terms, though. If someone wants to compliment my looks, I couldn't care less if I'm pretty or handsome, I'm just extremely surprised and flattered!

8. JackIsANerd

I am not out so I hear my assigned pronouns all the time but I dislike them and I would rather hear male ones (hopefully one day I will)!

9. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as lesbian, just 'cus Its easier for me, and I like the term. I wouldn't mind being called mum or anything, except I never want kids. But most other female terms 'sister', 'girlfriend', 'aunt' would/do annoy me. It's weird.

10. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really think I'd care. As a Chilean, Spanish is my mother tongue, and it doesn't have non-gendered pronouns... So I have to conform with "Ella" (She)
    And I'd love having a girlfriend and be called one!

11. randomconnorcon

I can't stand pronouns and titles for my assigned gender. They were never right to me and I can't wait for the day people start changing them. I want to be brother, uncle and dad, I want to be someone's boyfriend (I'll also accept partner, though). Even when I'm agender, like now, I just don't accept words that don't reflect who I am because my gender goes across the masculine side of the spectrum with maybe just a sliver of female that might as well not exist. It's too weird for me.

12. AxxeMyrmidon

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most of the time the pronouns for my assigned gender don't really bother me that much, but that might be because I've heard them my whole life and am just used to them.