1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't really identify as female or male - I'm just me.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by rainbowdolphin, Dec 6, 2015.

1. rainbowdolphin

Hey all,

So I've been thinking about my gender a bit recently and how I see it, and I've realised that I don't really care for the idea of gender at all (at least in relation to myself). I despise conforming to gender roles or expectations, and honestly the whole idea of 'femininity' and 'masculinity' just feels foreign to me - I can sense that they exist, but at the same time I don't think I've ever really identified with either.

But at the same time I'm not sure, because I have no idea what feeling 'female' or 'feminine' is actually supposed to feel like, and likewise for masculinity and maleness. Saying things like 'I'm a woman' feels a bit weird and so does saying 'I'm a man', because I don't really connect with the idea of gender at all - I've always just identified as a person above anything else.

Is this what being agender is like? Or is it something else?

#1 rainbowdolphin, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is EXACTLY how I feel, I guess thats what being agender is atleast to me it is.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's just not connecting to gender roles. A lot of women don't feel like women, and a lot of men don't feel like men. Personally, I believe gender is what you want to be biologically and socially (of course, you don't have to follow that definition) so you can just be whoever you are and not have your gender affect that. It's completely fine to not feel like your gender.

4. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is exactly how I feel. I'd say you could maybe be agender? But at least I'm pretty sure you're genderqueer!