1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DemiLiHue, Dec 7, 2015.

1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like to have a flat chest because it would make me look androgynous, which is what I'm aiming for. (If you have other tips in making someone look androgynous, that would help) So I've been planing to Bind after I come out. It's just that I don't know how it is. How does it feel at first, Does it hurt...? Is it... Normal wanting to bind for a genderqueer??
    I was also thinking in using two sport bras for now, does it work? Is it safe or uncomfortable? Geez I have too many questions

2. Hexagon

It doesn't feel terribly comfortable at first. But you get used to it. And yeah, lots of non-binary people bind. As far as I know, the two sports bra method is safe, though not always effective depending on your size.

3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wah cool!! Thank you so much for your help!! I think I will start with the sport bras method for now, because I haven't came out...:eusa_doh:
    How does it look when someone binds? Does it really look like a no-boobs chest? Or it is easy to see that one was born female?
    I'm so exited to bind :eusa_danc

4. GenderSciFi

Hey there,

you can look at a lot of pictures of people with binders on youtube or tumblr.
    It doesn't necessarily make you look a lot more masculine, just... boobless, I guess? Depends a lot on what you wear over it, haircut etc. A binder under a polca-dotted dress is a supercute thing, in my opinion, but people will soooo still think you're a girly girl... so unfair! :tantrum:
    I find I look a bit more like the gender I am (whatever that is...), but I think that I also move and stand differently when I bind. It helped me a lot!
    Yeah, at least for me, when it's supposed to be really effective, it hurts. What worked for me on the long run was to have at least two binders: a larger size for long days at uni and stuff, and a smaller, better one for when it's really important to me. But go ahead and try the sports bras, that's probably also cheaper!

Love, GenderSciFi

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends on the person. For me it's not very uncomfortable--it was at first, but that's because it was tucked into my pants which felt bulky and weird, not because of tightness. It also made me dysphoric at first, because I expected to make me completely flat which it didn't. Some people say they're really uncomfortable, some people feel no discomfort. It should never hurt, though. If it does, you're doing something wrong--e.g. wearing it too long, sleeping in it, working out, or you have the wrong size. In my opinion, half binders (that don't cover your entire abdomen are more comfy but if you're bigger than a C cup I'd recommend getting a full one.

I used the 2-sports bra method for about 6 months and never had any problem with discomfort or pain. It made me flatter than a regular bra, but not completely (I'm a small A-cup, but if you have a bigger chest the change will probably be more drastic). Also lots of genderqueer, non-binary, or even GNC girls like to bind their chests. It's not just a guy thing.

#5 baconpox, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for the help!!
    I also think it would help me be more sure of myself, because right now I hide my chest, walk really curved, because I use a loose shirt so when I walk that way it makes me look boobless and I really like it!

Also I'm gonna do the sport bra thingy for now, tho I don't know if it would be too obvious that I'm binding for my mom, meh if she asks I will say that I just don't like my boobs. Nothing genderqueer for now lol

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Binding doesn't hurt if done properly. It can be a little uncomfortable at first, but if it's painful, then you're doing something wrong. Doubling up on sports bras is fine, but never do that with actual binders since you can cut down on your ability to breathe properly and can hurt yourself. I know a guy who broke a rib like that, and speaking from experience, recovering from an injury like that is long and hard.

8. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yikes I have heard a lot about this kind of problems... That are pretty serious

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2015 at 07:36 PM ----------

hey another question: you need to have more than 1 binder right? Just like bras? (Except that the colors don't matter lol)

9. Hexagon

Yes, unless you want to have to wash it in your sink. You'll probably find that different ones work better in different situations. But maybe just get one for now, to see how you get on with it.

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2015 at 12:30 AM ----------

I believe the sports bra thing is done best when one of them is inside out, and they're a smaller size than you'd normally wear.

The look can depend on the size of your chest, but it looked fairly natural for me. You'll find that the look is best when the breasts are held slightly to the sides, rather than the middle, though I suppose that only applies to actual binders rather than sports bras.

10. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah? Well I don't have smaller bras sadly.
    I also read that is good to use one backwards, I will do that. I'm on my dad's house now so I have only one sport bra... BUT I have a normal bra!! And it is smaller!! I will try use that one. And upper a sport bra. That could help, right?

OMG I'm so anxious and dysphoric :tears::icon_sad::bang::eusa_doh::***::help:

11. Hexagon

You can try it for the short term, but I'm not sure how effective you'll find it. Maybe you could try buying some new ones? You could even try them both on together to see how effective at binding they are before you buy them.

12. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a good idea!!
    Tho I bet my mom just appears from nothing while I'm trying the 2 bras haha
    I think I will tell her that I want to try them alone. So then I will pick the smaller one and said its perfect! :eusa_danc
    Thaaaaaank you!!!