1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any FTM parent/wanna have kids?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Riz, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Riz

Riz

I'm ftm and have one biological child that I was the one giving birth to, and strange as this sounds I wouldn't mind another. Actually it kind of stops me in my transition.

I'm feeling very alone and it would be great to hear others thoughts on the matter? Or even are in the same/similar situation?
    Or just generally discuss the topic, I'm curious and this is not something I see discussed often. Discussions about adopted kids are welcome too.

It kind of sounds like a taboo for transmen to even wanna have children, adopted or not. Ok some have before they admit they're trans, but I've never heard of someone who wanna have after coming out. (except me)
    Some say I'm not trans because of this, but I'm not saying that pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding is without dysphoria, the other way around it's horrible. Except some few things (like kicks in the stomach, holding your baby for the first time and the skin to skin intimacy during nursing). So I feel it's worth it.

Discuss?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think wanting kids would invalidate you any.

3. noname8387

Remember "the pregnant man"? If you want to just do it, it won't make you any less trans :slight_smile:

4. Riz

Riz

I don't. I took distance from anything trans related for many years when I was in denial, so I might have missed things.

Thank you though that makes me feel better, I've had so bad reactions in the past.

5. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Most transmen don't want to give birth (myself included), but if you want to, go ahead. I don't want kids in general- biological or adopted.

6. JackIsANerd

You should go for it if you really want it! :grin: I don't see myself giving birth in the future but I will probably have kids just depends on how things go.

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually would, too.

I'm not too fond of pregnancy, but I believe I can do it if it's to have children. I'm simply not in a right place to have them yet (there is a thing called school that gets in the way, plus, no boyfriend).

I could not have waited to transition, though. I prefered to run the risk, seeing as most can get pregnant after stopping T for a while.

8. thepandaboss

It's more common than you'd think. After all, it's possible for trans men to get pregnant on T (even though it's not common nor recommended). As for me, I dunno. My issue is finances and whether I could carry, you know?

9. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think I could ever do it myself... the whole idea is just. Nope.
    But yeah, I've heard of transmen who have given birth and if you're okay doing it, I don't see why not.

I've always said I would adopt, though. Especially if my partner wanted kids.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to carry a kid for me and my partner if my dysphoria wouldn't get in the way (and I know going off T would probably be a bad idea), since my partner has health issues and couldn't carry our kid even if he wanted to.

11. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea of having kids, but I don't like the idea carrying a child for multiple reasons, partly dysphoria reasons, but mainly for the high probability that one or both would not survive the process (yay neonatal myasthenia gravis), and the fact that I would be bedridden the whole time. But I really like the idea of my kids being biologically mine. How many kids can say that they are descended from Norse royalty? Although they were banished 1,000 years ago...

12. randomconnorcon

Last night I actually dreamt that I was years into my transition and about to deliver a baby I was carrying myself. I can't go into details, mostly because I freaked out waking up and I don't want to freak out again, but it kind of validated the decision I already made to not go down that path. I'm not saying a trans guy can't get pregnant, it doesn't make you any less of a man than another, I just can't do it. I do think I want kids in the future, though, but even before I realized I was trans it was all about adoption for me. If I can harvest my own eggs beforehand/use a donor and my partner wants a biological child, then I'd also consider surrogacy. But no pregnancy.

13. Riz

Riz

Same here, I "just" tried to shut off my brain for nine months, which was actually easier than you'd think seeing I was renovating a house most of the time... But I don't recommend the insane dysphoria that comes with it, but also not saying it's worth it if you really wanna do it.

I've googled and asked around like crazy but I have big troubles finding info about transmen that have got pregnant on T or stopping T. The only thing I read is the very high risk of infertility and the very unpleasant phase after stopping with T.
    Anyone have and info/stories to share?
    Lately I've been thinking of risking fertility since my dyshoria is really bad since coming out. But at the same time it feels stupid to do something I'm unsure about at a such early stage of my life. (I'm 22).
    But at the same time I hate planning my whole life like this...

Anyway thank you all for your comments and inputs it's really interesting to hear other's thoughts on the matter. I especially appreciate everyone being so open to the idea maybe not to carry themselves but to validate those who want to.