1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shopping for girls clothing! IDK what to do...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gracilyn, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Gracilyn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just recently told my dad that I wanted to crossdress, and, to keep things simple, he accepted it. Then he said for Christmas, which is just around the corner, he would give me the money to buy girl's clothing (I'm male by the way). But to be honest, now that I think about it, I have no idea where or how I should buy my clothes, or what sizes I need, and how much this would all cost. Basically, I don't know where to start.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

You could go to some charity stores that have a wide variety of clothing and is relatively cheap compared to main market stores. One thing to be careful though is that the charity store clothing sometimes is larger/smaller than main market stores so if you find one size in charity stores you might be another in main market stores.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Secrets' idea is a good one. I do a lot of my shopping in charity shops. But it does sometimes take a long time to sift through clothes sometimes and find what you're looking for.

My suggestion is to start with one outfit that makes you feel super confident, something you slip on that feels good and makes you happy. Don't worry about a wardrobe, just focus on one outfit pirce by piece, and then use that as a template to buy additional pieces. Don't be discouraged if it takes you many shopping trips to build up the clothes you want.

This also might be a weird piece of advice, but watching What Not to Wear is really helpful in learning how to dress yourself to look and feel your best. They have rules for people to follow to help them find clothes that fit them and make thrm feel good. It's a silly show, but at their core, they tend to empower people by the end.

#3 baristajedi, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  4. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you get one bottom piece (skirt or pants or whatever you like best) that you really like, then a couple of shirts that match, that's a good starting point. This gives you more than one outfit that you can build onto with accessories and shoes and stuff.

5. My advice sounds a lot easier than it is, but the best thing you can do is just go out and buy stuff! Go to the stores you assume you like (and aren't that expensive) and try pieces you like. You'll find your style after a few times. Good luck shopping!

6. FootballFan101

A dress or playsuit is the majority of an outfit in one item, kepp that in mind

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advice could fit for either gender, but I think it's a good one. If you're still unsure of what you like, start out shopping at some sort of discount store, like a thrift store or something like that. I've found some really great name brand clothes at these types of stores, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Then, once you have a better handle on what clothes you do like, you could get all fancy. Good luck! I'm sure you'll look great! (*hug*)