1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions to non-binary people who are on HRT

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by paris, Dec 14, 2015.

1. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I need your help to answer some of my questions, thank you. (*hug*)
    In the country where you live can you start hormones and have a top surgery without the prerequisite of transitioning socially? I mean what's your official gender on your papers? E.g. if you're AFAB do you still go with F or have it changed to M?
    Why I ask is that I imagine myself to have a male body so ideally I'd like to start HRT and have a top surgery done one day, and I know for sure that I don't like to be seen as a female, but I'm not sure I see myself as a male. It seems to me that if it was an option I'd go for X as a gender, you know. :confused:

2. Hexagon

Okay, so I'm AFAB, and I've been on testosterone for four years. I had top surgery two years ago. In the country I'm living in (the UK), it's very difficult to transition openly as a non-binary person; I've only ever known one person who's attempted it, and they struggled a lot with it, to the point where I actually gave them a substantial amount of hormones. There isn't a requirement for trans people to change their gender on their papers, and my passport says M, and my birth certificate says F. I'd prefer neither like you, but there isn't much I can do about it.

What I did, and what every other transitioning non-binary person I know is doing (which is quite a lot. Around 25, I'd say) is pretending to be binary trans at the gender clinics. Mostly, you have to successfully lie your way through the psych appointments, but given how strict they are with that here, most binary people have to do a little lying too.

3. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    In the USA you can look for a doctor that will prescribe hormones under informed consent. In liberal states like California this isn't hard but in a conservative areas this can be a challenge. Find an lgbt center or some other place with a trans support group or find a local group online and ask them about the process. Google search is also useful though not as much as I expected, it took some digging for me to find a doctor in my area and it's still 100 miles away

#3 Jiramanau, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015