1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figuring it out... Trans or Crossdresser? DNA or Emotional?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by karmatoast, Dec 14, 2015.

1. karmatoast

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Up until recently (maybe 3 months ago) I considered myself a straight cis guy, without any doubts. However, that changed when I realized that I could be accepted by my father as a transgender woman.

I have been a closeted crossdresser for pretty much all of my life. I've always enjoyed having feminine qualities, which made it easier to feel aroused during crossdressing. The sexual fantasy is that I'm forcefully turned into a woman and made to have sex with men.

Unrelated to my sexual fantasies, I've felt emotionally inhibited for pretty much all of my life...

As I get older, I realize that it will be harder for me to envision myself as female since my body will continue to be less passable, to myself. However, resigning myself to getting older and losing my looks is something everyone must face so I'm not very unique there haha.

When my dad just happened to say he could accept me as a woman, I had a holy shit moment and I needed to actually think if I was actually transgender.

Oh god, I want to be. But I've come to the conclusion that this sexual fantasy is a huge coping mechanism for other emotional issues I'm having. However, it's very frustrating because I can't even name what's causing my issues. It feels like a lack of motivation and low self esteem. Even, if I'm able to accomplish something, like dating a beautiful girlfriend or being liked by my friends, there is the feeling that I just want to hide from everything, and that I'm not good enough. It's safer to be alone and to not have to express myself or show people how I feel. Every accomplishment feels like I had to pretend in order to get it, like it's not who I really am. I feel anxious and brooding most of the time, but I try to hide it. It's just a feeling and it's not tied to any specific thought. It's just there.

Granted, my mother did a good job conditioning me to feel guilty all of the time, even when I've done nothing wrong.

My mom and dad split when I was 6 yrs old and I spent most of my time with my mom until I was old enough to choose to stay with my dad. I think that I just haven't been able to break away from the emotional abuse yet, now that I'm an adult. I'm 29 years old and I haven't even seen my mom for about 3 years.

The last time I saw her, she tried to convince me that my dad had raped me as a child and that I was repressing the memory. I screamed into her face that I was 'tired of the lies.' Then when I calmed down I asked her 'what if I just disappeared and went away forever'. She just told me 'do what you have to do.' Since then, she hasn't tried to make sure I was alright. She sent a handful of text messages that pretended nothing happened, but then stopped contacting me completely.

My dad, on the other hand is good to me and loves me very much. Without him, I may have easily 'gone away forever.'

Thinking I was transgender was a huge emotional lift for me, while it lasted. It tied into fulfilling my sexual fantasy, but also validated the feeling of not knowing who I am. It was hard to make myself accept that this was the truth and that I don't think I'm actual transgender.

I could easily slip back into my old way of holding back and feeling empty, but now that I've tasted a little bit of relief and started talking to my dad more, I want to work through my emotional issues.

Oh, and yes I have started seeing a gender therapist (4 appointments in), but I don't feel like she's challenging me at all. I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it and the appointments feel sleepy and not really about me. She just keeps asking about my dad's family and who is related to who, like she's building a family tree. For research? I need to be more direct and make sure I get more out of the appointments, but now I think I've solved my gender issues anyway.

My dad is better to talk to. He's not like most dads, having gone through terrible abuse as a child and actually rising above the abuse. He is stronger and wiser than most and he cares about me. I can trust him more than anyone and he's helped me talked through my feelings. He's challenged me to face things to that I don't want to face. I think I only wanted to talk to a gender therapist in order to get clearance to go on MtF hormone replacement therapy. However, now, I don't think that I will go on HRT. Maybe one day, I'll have an epiphany and realize that I was transgender all along. But before that can happen, I need to work through some issues.

Crossdressing still makes me feel hopeful. I actually started wearing more feminine clothes wherever I go (even work). I don't know if it's really what I want, or if it's just a temporary coping mechanism, like I'm holding onto the last remnants of being transgender. I still like the female clothes more than my old boy clothes. I've never bought boy clothes on my own and I don't like the way they look. I've had the same baggy collection of t-shirts and sweatshirts for years.

Crossdressing is easier since I live in an area that is extremely accepting. I've even showed up to work in makeup without any backlash. Everyone just seems to be ok with it. I want to start wearing dresses, but I'm a little nervous about that. First, I have to go shopping to try out what might look good. I haven't come out as a crossdresser. Yes, the clothes are feminine, but where I work, I could easily pass as 'trendy', so far... but I'm not interested in being trendy, I'm interested in feeling more feminine in some sweet clothes.

I've always liked female clothing better. So, now I think maybe I'm a crossdresser. I know there are a lot of 'straight' men like me who crossdress. I think it looks cool... but it's weird to me because I don't act very feminine and I don't want my mannerisms to clash with my look. But I think I'm going to work through any hangups I have and just do what I like. Besides, I think I need more practice just being me. I think that's been my real emotional problem. I need to get past this mental block of guilt and emptiness, because it's just based on conditioning and not reality.

As far as my sexual fantasies involving sex with men (as a woman)... I'm wondering if maybe I would enjoy it in real life, in my male body. Having sex with either men or women doesn't sound as appealing in my male body because everything is heightened, when I see myself as a woman. But now, I'm very curious as to whether I'm completely straight as I once thought. Probably not.

I know everyone has their own truth to figure out, but I'm wondering if anyone is feeling similar things? I'm just so hesitant and apologetic about who I am. I feel a lot of acceptance, I just need to feel it from myself. That's my main issue. I'm my own worst enemy and I'm finally dealing with that consciously.

Peace, everyone. Be you and rock on :wink:

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Truthfully, you do sound transgender and you seem to be already going through the process of acceptance. Gender dysphoria is a telling sign and your descriptions of feeling fake and feeling empty are often strongly associated with dysphoria and are signs of repression. Also the discomfort that you are feeling about your body changing and the sense of relief you feel when you think of yourself as a woman. Not being feminine enough is considered to be meaningless in context of being transgender as gender identity has nothing to do with gender expression. As someone who accepted herself much later on in life I can tell you that it can really come out of nowhere. I felt empty and disconnected for most of my life and I always just thought that it was how it felt to be human or that my problems were being caused by the childhood cancer that I had and later on ADHD. It's tough to know if what you are feeling is something that others don't because of how subjective experiences are. Think about whether or not you feel a sense of unease when you focus on male features? Anyway, you are clearly crossdressing for reasons other than fulfilling sexual fantasies as you are doing so in day to day life, I assume to feel comfortable with yourself and your body.

Understanding and accepting who you are can take time. Think about what is going on inside of you, do you feel as if you struggled to understand others because there was a descrepency between how you expect to be perceived and how you are actually perceived. Would you prefer if others would perceive you as a woman instead of a man?

I hope you find the answers that you are searching for, you definitely seem to be on the right track,

Much hugs,

(*hug*)

Eveline

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2015 at 02:04 PM ----------

One thing that I just realized about myself that might help you is that while you can repress trauma in the same way that you repress gender or sexuality. Arguments such as, well I had cancer or was raped, so that is the source of my repression tend to be a bit self defeating as you are clearly not repressing your trauma if you are acknowledge it and know how hard the experience was and how major an wvent it was in your life. Personally I feel comfortable identifying as a cancer survivor and I share my story with others willingly and freely. You also shared your story here so I assume you are well accept that you were abused and as such are not really repressing being abused...