1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Options in websites

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DemiLiHue, Dec 15, 2015.

1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi so I was searching penpal sites (because I want a penpal) and I noticed that none of this sites has at least a third option for gender. (Some even say "sex") So I tried to send them "feedback" or "contact us" things for them to add this option, but they won't change that because of one people! So how about you all help me? Not just with penpals, I will also help with what you'd like!! The thing works this way: someone in the thread posts some online places that would like to have more gender options (like other) the other ones write emails and/or feedback to that sites saying that they would like to have a third gender option, and post their advances.
    Let's create more gender equality and Non-binary visibility!!!

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2015 at 08:33 AM ----------

Oh forgot to mention that I got a response from one penpal website saying that they'll maybe fix that later in another update, they didn't sound too sure of it

#1 DemiLiHue, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I've even had two sites not replying, but one site was really kind and said they'd discuss a third option, but would take time due to coding. Facebook are allowing people to put their actual gender in, and I'd hope they also allow put in pronouns in future [right now just his/her/their].

I'll put my message for anyone wishing to copy it;

Hello,

I would like to sign up to your site but there is only an option for 'females' and 'males'. I am [fill in] which means [fill in], so cannot sign up to your site.

I am aware of other people who are non-binary who would also like to sign up, but cannot due to this lack of third, non-binary, option.

I am messaging you politely to ask you to consider a non-binary option and not discriminate against myself and other non-binary people from joining your site.

Thank-you.

#2 Secrets5, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks!

May I ask which site answered? I appreciate your help!

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Survey monkey

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So this is reply I got from one;

Thank you for your message.

When members register they have to submit their gender. What we are asking is their physical gender meaning the gender they''re born in. We are not asking what gender a member feels he/she is. Moreover, we are definitely not discriminate against anybody.

That said if you wish to sign up then simply select the gender you''ve been born with. You will then later have the option to write something about your gender within your profile text so other members understand your position.

Thank you for supporting PenPal World.

Then they really need to specify ''sex'' and why does that matter? I'm not sure everyone from around the world will accept it. They might say they're not discriminating against anybody but it's almost as if they're trying to 'save-face' rather than actually not.

6. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to defend any of it, but just for more information: Usually when sites ask for sex/gender and only give you predefined options of male and female, it is because they are asking for advertising purposes. A lot of websites make their money based on ads and the advertisers want to be able to specify which users see their ads. Unfortunately, most of the advertising world hasn't yet figured out how to focus group their ads for the non-binary population and/or they consider it too small of a population to be worth spending their money on.

If they allow you the space to define your gender for yourself in your public profile, I would suggest just clicking at random when they ask your gender or sex at sign up and not worrying about it. Their inability to give you the opportunity to answer honestly is only messing up their own statistics - it is not going to change or effect your experience of their site.

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It will affect my experiances because there are people who won't acknowledge the fact I'm agender/non-binary if they don't see it as an option. People get really annoyed if someone selects say; male gender when their sex is female [transmale] so they might get really annoyed at me if I throw a coin and choose that one. They might call me liar and deceptive [which yes, though no fault of my own] and take me off the site.

#7 Secrets5, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  8. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same

9. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But the response you posted from PenPal World specifically invites you to do just that! It doesn't sound like they're going to call you a liar and kick you off the site when you're following their instructions.

I understand it's not an ideal solution for you, but changing the code on sites like this is actually a LOT of work and, as I mentioned above, their advertisers are likely to reject it anyway. Definitely continue to send messages about it because it's obviously important to you. My suggestion was of a way to continue to use and enjoy their service in the meantime. Don't deprive yourself of an experience you want just because other people don't understand your gender!

10. FootballFan101

Hope you get the optioms

11. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it just me who has a lot of problems with that response back to your email?
    I was born with the male gender. Wasn't my fault that science doesn't yet understand sex well enough to have been able to figure that out when i was born. Same thing goes for non-binary folk, too. Saying a transgender person wasn't born with the gender they identify as is ill-informed at best, discriminatory at worst. To put it bluntly.

#11 Ronin, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  12. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a problem with it, perhaps just ignore the email I got as a reply and put your actual gender. Reason being is that it *does* say gender on there. Well, at least you see it as discrimination too, I was beginning to think they had twisted what 'discrimination' was so much it no longer applied and nobody else understood.

13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

this website claims that they "believe measurable results matter more than branding and marketing and that the self improvement industry is desperately long overdue for innovation."

https://www.mychallengetribe.com/About-Contact

So if anybody wanted to sign up then this is a website that will probably add in a non-binary option. It's a personality quiz website, I forgot to mention that.