1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-religious parents.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Secrets5, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Does anyone have non-religious parents?

My Mum is atheist but respects that I'm quasi-christian and goes to church with me at Christmas as she likes it then. My Dad is strictly athiest and hates anything to do with religion, I actually wish he'd be a little more respectful towards it. But his opinion, I guess.

So, for anyone else with non-religious parents, how's your experience been?

I'm coming out as agender [and my sexuality is none of their concern so I'm not saying anything about that] if this helps for specifics.

Thank-you.

2. YinYang

Both of my parents are not religious at all. My mom was born Jewish and my dad was Catholic, but neither of them really believe in God. When I came out, they were convinced it was a phase, but they're starting to come around.

3. InfinityonHigh

My dad who is an atheist was (and is) supportive. Religion plays a factor but it's not always the final say.

4. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it's so interesting that both your parents are atheist and you turned out religious. Usually the parental figures influence the child's religion, although I've seen more religious children turn out atheist. I've never seen a child from atheist parents become religious.

How did you come about becoming quasi-Christian? Just curious.

#4 Steve FS, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to a religious school as I went to the school's nursery between 3-5 years with some of my friends and so I went to the school to be with them. In year 6 we got asked if we wanted to do religious education with the church and I wanted to. Our school never said anything against homosexuality, a lot of the females in our year sung "I kissed a girl" by Katy Perry and didn't get told off, so I never knew about homopobia or anything, for me, kissing someone the same-sex as me was normal, and the opposite-sex seemed wierd.

Sorry, side tracked there. Religion, defined by the western world, has to have a believe in God. I don't believe in God, but I believe in Jesus and everyone else. 'Quasi-' means not quite, so whilst I believe in the Bible, I'm 'not quite' religious as defined by the western world. I believe that science can explain quite a lot of 'myricals' and things.

My grandmother and great-aunt are religious so I often went to Church with them when they were around.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Growing up my mom and her sisters always seemed rather nonreligious in the sense that they admit that their could be a god, but in the end they aren't worried about I'd there is or isn't. It is the same view point me and my brother have, my other brother seems to be trying to mix god and wicca together, and my cousins are all unreligious.
    My dad's family were old school southern baptist bible thumpers. The kind that will be nice to you to your face I'd you are gay, but the minute you are out of ear shot they will tell their kids/grandkids that if they ever come out as gay they would disown you....quietly so as not to mach themselves look bad in front of their community

7. Distant Echo

I'm an atheist. One of my kids attends church regularly. I've always tried to give my kids the choice of whether they are religious. We respect his choice, each to their own. But religion is not a topic of discussion in my house.

8. AxxeMyrmidon

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My family is a little religious, like my parents both grew up in families that went to church regularly and things like that, but they never tried to force religion on me and my sister. We went to church a few times when we were younger, but that was it.

9. randomconnorcon

The only time religion ever comes my way are when I was in Catholic school and when my nan hears me 'blasheme' or I do something that's 'too gay' for her.

My mum was baptized a Catholic and my dad a Protestant. I was Catholic, but I've never believed in God, my parents never forced it on me (only the school, which my dad hated as much as me and my brother did) and all my mum says is that she hopes there's more to death than just not being around anymore.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about my dad, but my family identifies as Christian (I'd assume) but aren't the type to go to church except for weddings and funerals.

11. FootballFan101

My parents are christains but not super religious