1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I a Guy?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by andy13, Dec 20, 2015.

1. andy13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Alright, so this has been something that's been nagging at the back of my head for the past few months, popping up a bit over the last year, and seriously considered the past few weeks. I am currently a 21 and a female, but have been considering if I really should be male. Overall, I've fit the bill for being a female, liking dolls to an extent, doing ballet, wearing makeup, dressing up, looking pretty, but...I can't shake this feeling that maybe things would be better if I had male parts. I can't say that I necessarily feel "uncomfortable" in my current state, but I feel that I would be more satisfied with myself in a male body. I would be happy to cross-dress and have feminine moments, but as a base, I want to be male. I've thought about the change with the hormones and surgery and everything and I feel that I would be fine going through all of that, just to have that masculine physique.

I'm really not sure if this is just me loving guys too much that I want to be one or if it's possible that I've always been a bit more than a tomboy, but have never come to terms with it. :confused:

2. Distant Echo

This is the place for you. There are a lot of trans people on here and they will be able to help you work through this.
    You are certainly questioning your gender, good on you for having the guts to listen to yourself.

And welcome. :slight_smile:

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may find it helpful to check out some of these FTM Youtube channels. They are what helped me gain a lot of perspective about the trans experience, and insight about my own identity.

-ALionsFears
    -uppercaseCHASE1
    -TheRealAlexBertie
    -skylarkeleven
    -Benton
    -ElectricDade
    -Ty Turner
    -Ashton Colby

As inamirrordarkly said, EC is definitely a great place for support should you find yourself in need of it. Don't be afraid to post any questions about what you're thinking or feeling, we transguys don't bite (usually) and would be happy to help you if you'd like to know more.

#3 Kodo, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  4. Hexagon

If you want to be. It sounds like you do. You don't need to experience dysphoria to be trans. Have you tried getting a binder and passing?

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you aren't uncomfortable at all it's probably juat some fixation caused by external factors, rather than being trans.

6. andy13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, ALionsFears had a video that really resonated. Not really knowing until later in life.
    uppercaseCHASE1 dang...his view with feminine aspects still being okay after a transition really hit home. Another thing, was getting emotional talking about changes. I have talked about this with one of my best friends and when I initially started questioning myself and talking about changing, I became extremely emotional, tears welling up, but in a happy sense.

Thank you so much for suggesting those.

7. andy13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't tried a binder yet, I am planning to look for one just to really test the waters. I have done costumes as I guy before and really enjoy doing so. Not really casual passing though...

8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look at the channels listed, they are really helpful.

As well, liking feminine things doesn't mean you can't be a man. I grew up playing with Barbie's and my childhood bedroom was lavaender, but I'm still male. As well I was 22 when I fi ally started seriously questioning my gender.

As other people have asked, do you feel uncomfortable with any part of your body or with being viewed as female?
    Also leave you with this article

When Your Violin Is Supposed To Be A Cello: My Story Of Transition | Ravishly

9. andy13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That was a really powerful story that I can say rings fairly close to what I'm currently feeling.

I guess as to feeling uncomfortable, I do feel a bit uncomfortable with my genitalia and chest. I'm usually a very complacent person though so I take life with its lumps and deal with it. I know that I don't much care for what my body gives me because I was born female. I just figured I'd deal with it.

10. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you're describing sounds like dysphoria, even if it's not super severe dysphoria. Definitely sounds like you could be trans. Remember that stereotypes and the clothes you wear don't dictate your gender, so the fact like makeup and ballet doesn't mean anything. See about getting a binder so you can see if that makes you feel more comfortable with your body.

11. andy13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay. Thank you for that input. I actually recently got a tighter sports bra that works okay as a binder for now. I am really enjoying it, especially whenever a task makes me aware that it' scompressed.