1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about gender identity and gender expression

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Humanoid, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Humanoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi everyone. For the past year and a half I've been struggling with my gender identity. I've been off and on, back and forth for so long. However, now I have settled on being female for now. However there are still things that nag at me. Is it ok if I ask a couple of questions?

1. Is gender expression a learned trait or is it innate? I ask because whenever I watch a program about trans youth (trans girls in particular), they seem to have an expression that is stereotypical of their gender. I always thought that these things were learned, but with these kids it seems to be indicative of their gender. I guess what I'm really asking is, did these kids come by their expression because they saw it as being something that girls do or did it just come naturally to them?

2. Are things gendered or aren't they? One thing that I've learned on my gender journey is that gendering things is bad because anything can be for both girls and boys. However, the aforementioned trans youth, as well as gender creative or gender non-conforming youth, seem to gender things all the time. For them, wearing pink and playing with dolls is something that girls do or something that is considered girly. But I thought that we (as a society) were trying to shift away from saying things like that.

3. Is it necessary to seperate your gender expression from your gender identity? I feel like I needed to do this in order to know if I were truly trans or not. I feel like I've successfully done this. But then I started reading up on a lot of other trans people's experiences and a lot of it seemed wrapped up in gender expression (i.e. - they've always wanted to wear dresses or wanted pink things or wanted to be a princess for Halloween etc.). All of this made me feel like separating my expression from my identity was unnecessary. There are still times when my expression seems to motive my need to transition, but I push those feelings away because I feel like they should be seperate. Should I instead embrace them?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1. Gender expression is basically what you like to do and what you like to wear. I'm not entirely sure why it's called 'gender' expression, because it's more just expression.

2. History seems to have a sense that 'girls have to like X' and 'boys have to like Z' but reality girls and boys and non-binary can like X and/or Z however the individual wishes.

3. Gender expression and gender identity are two different things. Expression is what you do, and identity is what you are in terms of gender.

I have to go to dinner now, but I find something to add, I'll continue later.

3. Humanoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I was really talking more in terms of applying a gendered term to things. Like me "girlifying" my room. I assumed that saying something like that is outdated or something.

Enjoy your dinner. :slight_smile:

#3 Humanoid, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. I was going to say it was both learned and innate (in that everyone naturally has preferences for certain clothes, but those preferences can be so strongly skewed by societal influences that it's impossible to tell where innate preference ends and societal expectations begin), but then I reconsidered the implications of your question. The suggestion that trans kids naturally go towards the stereotypical presentation of their gender and it's an innate preference implies that little girls are born liking dresses and princesses and boys are born liking jeans and trucks, which would, in turn, imply that gender stereotypes have a biological basis. So, no. Gender expression, in that sense, is not innate.

Kids are gonna have innate preferences for clothing (that have nothing to do with their gender) which they may or may not feel comfortable expressing because of societal pressures. All kids are interested in wearing dresses at some point in their childhood; I suspect young trans girls feel more free to do so because they see other girls doing it, so they assume it's good for them to do too. Young trans boys feel more comfortable refusing to wear dresses because that's what the other boys are doing. But cis girls who are tomboys and cis guys who like dresses exist too. It's all a matter of personal clothing preferences and whether or not your view of your role in society allows you to express those preferences or whether they will gradually be squashed out of you as you grow older due to society's expectations for your gender.

2. Are things gendered? In our society, yes. Are they inherently gendered? No. Should they be gendered? Absolutely not. The fact is, it can be really reassuring and reaffirming to do things that are associated with your gender because it means society is more likely to view you the way you see yourself. But if these things weren't gendered in the first place, it wouldn't be a problem. So, trans people often take advantage of gendered things to help reaffirm their gender, but it wouldn't be necessary if society stopped assigning genders to activities, inanimate objects, and clothing.

3. Gender expression and identity often line up, but it's important not to base your identity solely on expression. The experience of always wanting to wear dresses (or of always hating them) is common simply because when people are not fully aware of their gender identity, roles and stereotypes are often the only way they have to express it. A young trans girl doesn't have the language to go "I identify as female but feel comfortable expressing myself in any way I feel like it". A young trans girl (particularly one who isn't aware of her identity) is going to be drawn towards the behaviors and expression of other girls, who are mostly going to be conforming to gender stereotypes because that's what they've been taught to do. Even once you do have the language for it, gender expression can be a vital part of gender identity. I love dresses, but for the most part hate wearing them because they make me dysphoric. I am more comfortable in clothing from the men's section because it helps people see me as more masculine, and it helps me see myself as male. But it's still important to separate your gender expression from your identity at least long enough to make sure that your identity is based in something other than the clothes you like to wear.

#4 darkcomesoon, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015