1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be a better trans* ally

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I'm_Danni_x, Dec 23, 2015.

1. I'm_Danni_x

How can I be a much better ally for trans* people? Tips and suggestions are very much appreciated. I want to make a change since I witness a lot of trans-phobia and it's disgusting.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a few things that you can do really.

1. If you hear transphobia, try to confront it. I say try, because it is not always possible to confront it safely. There are many times that people do not even realize what they are saying can be harmful.

2. Use correct name and pronouns of transgender people. If you accidentally mess up, don't make a big deal out of it. A simple apology usually will suffice. Mistakes happen, it's just important to limit them.

3. Educate yourself on some trans issues. Since the trans community has been in the spotlight lately, it is easier to find information online. Also, don't assume that all trans people feel the same way. There are some transgender people that feel more dysphoria than others. There are also transgender people that either do not want to go on hormones or are unable to go on them. What a person does or does not want to do in their transition does not make them any less trans.

4. Non-binary identities are important as well. They are often forgotten since the binary identities are in the limelight at the moment. Even within the transgender community, non-binary people are often looked down on. So, remembering that they exist and learning about them can go a long way in being anice ally to the transgender community.

There is more, but it's late and I have worked an overnight shift at work. So, I'm sure others will chip in :slight_smile:

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

Remember this: Just because you don't feel that way, doesn't invalidate the way someone else feels [towards anything, really].

4. FootballFan101

Stick up for trans people being bullied if you witness it. I don't think you need to do anything else execpt trying to use the right pronouns and name

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's safe for you, confront the transphobia you witness. It's often safer for cis people to stand up to transphobia than trans people. But of course, there are situations where it wouldn't be safe for anyone, cis or trans, so don't put yourself at risk. Just take the opportunity when you can.

Use people's pronouns, and when you see other people misgendering someone, correct them.

Trust that trans people know their own experiences. Don't doubt their identities, their actions, their use of certain terms, etc. (unless their actions are dangerous or their use of certain terms is clearly making other trans people uncomfortable or unhappy). Unless we ask for help, assume we know what we're doing.

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Use the opportunities available to you to speak out about trans issues :slight_smile: For example, we each had to do a presentation in my class about a topic of our choice and I chose to speak about the trans community.
    Just keep in mind the most important things that transphobes forget:-
    -Trans women are real women, trans men are real men
    -Non-binary people exist and that's okay
    -If someone asks you to use certain pronouns, do it, it's not that hard
    -Politely correct those who use the wrong name or pronouns for someone you know (if they are out)
    -Try to stand up against transphobic behaviour where possible

7. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    All good stuff above, not much too add except on the pronouns thing:
    Clarify with the person where it's appropriate to use said pronouns. Eg in my case, I'm not out to a lot of people and so having a friend correct x person for using the wrong pronouns would be preeeetty awkward..

8. boatlanding

boatlanding Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whenever someone uses the "t-word" randomly, even for a "joke". Correct them...so sick of seeing people use that word casually yet it is so harmful. I try to correct them but every time they get some fucking idea they get to use more slang words since I am an actual transgender. :\ Also, agreed with everyone above.

9. I'm_Danni_x

How would I challenge trans-phobic comments? Would it be by explaining how the slur is offensive and make them realize it's transphobic and why they shouldn't use it?