1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurt by transphobia casual and close to home

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by boatlanding, Dec 24, 2015.

1. boatlanding

boatlanding Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I enjoy watching youtube in my spare time. I follow a selective few youtubers who I thought, and truely thought, weren't transphobic. Today I pulled up a certain new video by a huuuge cis-female youtuber...the video was fine until the very last part where she made a very hurtful joke about Caitlyn Jenner and her journey through her transition. It was an awful thing to saw in my opinion and I trusted that youtuber(silly I know.) I feel like crying because it reminded me of being backstabbed by someone I trusted all over again. Everywhere I look people are tossing around transphobic statements and casually saying the t-word like its no big deal. But what about us?...It seems no one cares...

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dude, that sucks. :/ I know a lot of people, myself included, have a negative opinion of Caitlyn, but that doesn't give them the right to disrespect a whole community of people. I'm really sorry this happened and I hope she realises it was wrong and apologises. It sucks when our idols let us down like this, but we can only keep moving forward :slight_smile: xx

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry about that, brother.

We just have to accept that people can be horrible sometimes. A lot of times people say things because that's the 'popular opinion' or they are simply ignorant. I think that if they actually had a friend who was trans, they may have a different mindset. The same way that oftentimes hyper-conservative individuals will think so lowly of gay people mostly because that's the way they were raised into thinking. Nothing was stopping them from ending their ignorance and being a compassionate, understanding individual of course... but nothing was pushing them either. People tend to remain in the same state that they started unless there is a compelling force or circumstance to change their opinion.

So with this Youtuber. She probably has no idea what she's talking about. And even so, if she doesn't respect Caitlyn for legitimate reasons, that is her opinion which I'll respect same as any. But the wrong thing is to go about dissing an entire community, who have to face enough pain and prejudice as is, just because she dislikes one member.

My advice: Try and put it out of your mind. These people we tend to idolize are only human. They make errors. They have differences between us. If such people are hurting you, move on and find someone else to look up to. It is only worth admiring someone who is admirable.