1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Slicer9876, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Slicer9876

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm very confused right now. I have realized a few days ago that I am a trans female, but I don't know what to do about it. Do I change anything or do I just stay the same? A few of my friends have helped me learn to do makeup and my boyfriend is completely fine with my gender identity transition, but... I just don't know what to do...

2. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How did you find out? And honestly I don't really do much until I REALLY want to. But everyone transitions their own way. There's no requirement.
    I came out to my family and some friends and Isometimes ask to be referred to by other pronouns/name and I dress in comfy clothes. But. Nothing big.

But I find it hard to let go of the male privilege, so.

3. Slicer9876

Out Status:
    All but family
    I started thinking about it a while ago when I wanted to be a girl. I thought they was just weird thoughts, so I ignored them. Then earlier this week I started seriously wondering about my gender. I didn't feel like I was supposed to be a male, so I asked my friends if I should do something about it. They told me to do whatever I thought was right, so... I just kind of decided that I genuinely did want to be a female.

And thank you for the advice. I already have started using she/her as my pronouns and came out to a few people (not my family). I'll just continue doing what I think I should do. Thank you. ;3

4. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It probably feels really fast, right? For me at least it did. When I finally felt like doing what felt right I had about a million feelings tossing me every which way and not much stable support, so I am still reeling, really.

How do you feel now you have chosen?? <3

And you're welcome. I'm glad I could attempt to help, even if it wasn't much.

5. Slicer9876

Out Status:
    All but family
    It feels pretty great! I'm glad to see that people actually care and want to help me. :3

6. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As already stated, you don't need to do anything different just because you've found a name for your identity. Everyone is different and there is no script - just do whatever you need to do to feel happy and fulfilled!

That being said, if you're feeling like you want to take some steps towards transition, finding a supportive and knowledgeable therapist is a great place to start. They can help you understand your own thoughts and feelings better if you're feeling any confusion or anxiety (not that you said you are, but these are extremely common emotions!) and can help make plans for any social and medical transition steps that you may want to pursue. And, for better or worse, they can also be used as supporting evidence if you run into any resistance along the way.

Other than that, just continue to live your life! Share your truth as you see fit and go after the things that will make you happy.

7. Slicer9876

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you for the advice. ;3

Would my school counselor be a good person to talk to?

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Counselors of any kind who are professional and trustworthy should be someone you can speak to. Is there an "LGBT safe zone" sticker emblazoned on the office somewhere? That's a good indication. Or talk to a very trusted teacher. Any good teacher has their students whole well being in mind, not just academically.

9. Slicer9876

Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know if there's an LGBT safe zone specifically in their office, but I know for sure there are quite a few around the school. My friend has gotten help from them multiple times, some of them about their sexuality, so I'm sure the counselor or a teacher could help me with my gender identity dilemma. Thank you. ;3