1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Secrets5, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Does anyone have any tips for how to get it so people cannot assume my gender by what I wear? I think that might help in getting people to ask ''are you a girl or boy'' so I can tell them ''neither, I'm agender''. I don't really have a sense of style anyway so suggest what you like.

Thank-you.

#1 Secrets5, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  2. GhostCake

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm..this would really interest me too--
    All i did only made people assume i am trans..well while it's not entirely wrong it also is not entirely true...never managed to make me look neutral enough.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When it comes to looking neutral, it's pretty hard. This is because we live in a society where we have been taught to assign a gender to everybody automatically.The best that I ever managed to get pre-T was people second guessing themselves when it came to my gender.

That all being said, it can be done, it's just really hard, and takes some practicing to find out what works best for you.

4. GenderSciFi

Hey,

I've actually been asked the boy-or-girl-question once or twice, but I'm not sure if it was honest confusion (which would be ideal) or more meant as an insult, as in: "haha, I see you want to be a man, ain't that funny."

It depends on what body and assigned sex you start out with (don't want to assume :icon_wink).
    Also, I think you should be aware of the fact that most people don't dwell on the question. They'll just put you in one of those two boxes, no matter how many contradictions you put out there.

If you're AFAB (as that's my area of personal expertise), you could try the usual trans*guy-stuff like binding and wearing clothing from the men's section, getting a short, but not too short haircut, behaving like a macho arse in public if that's your thing, etc. There's loads of resources on all of that. If you realize that you're too convincing as a man/boy you can break the act a bit with a cute earring or such :icon_bigg
    One thing that I think confuses people very much without you having to change your body medically is faking a beard (provided you are old enough that it's believable and you don't live with your transphobic family). Women can wear men's clothing and everything, but they're just not expected to have substantial beards.
    The best way to do that is to use your own hair. It's fun and a bit gross. Just produce very short hair clippings that look like beard stubble, apply some fake eyelash glue to your face and carefully put on the hair with a big makeup brush, in your favourite beard shape. Don't forget the sideburns. Prepare for horrible itchyness and a long washing session in the evening.

Don't know much about strategies for amab people.

Good luck to all you agender/genderqueer people out there! (&&&)